1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Eminence Upright

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by RW Grigsby, Dec 26, 2016.

1. RW Grigsby

RW Grigsby Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2014
    There's also a SF guy interested who says he will meet up with me, just letting you know. He hasn't committed though.

2. Tinman Funk

Tinman Funk Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Arlington
    Okay, thanks. I just talked to the warden...she's taking a bath and thinking about it :) I'll have an answer for you late tonight or by tomorrow sometime.

RW Grigsby likes this.
  3. Tinman Funk

Nov 8, 2016
    Arlington
    Okay, things aren't looking too bad with the warden. What is the depth of the body and what is the thickness of the top? I talked to Gary Bartig today (the guy that makes or designed these) and he said that they went to thicker tops and backs because the soundpost was starting to protrude through the back on some. First, around 2000, they went to a deeper body to help with this (from about two inches deep then up to around three inches deep). He said that certainly helped but then decided to go with a thicker top and back as well, for added stability. He agreed that the thinner ones did resonate more, but weren't structurally as sound over time. He didn't feel like it was that much of a difference tonally, but to pick my poison, if you will. He said the measurement for the top thickness can be taken at the F hole. Approximately 1/4" is the thinner top, while approximately 3/16" is the thicker one. Sorry for all the questions, $1,600 is a lot of money to me and I just want to know a little more before I buy. Especially since I don't have the opportunity to check it out in person. Hope you understand....thanks.

4. Tinman Funk

Nov 8, 2016
    Arlington
    I meant 3/8" for the thicker top not 3/16"....sorry.

5. RW Grigsby

Dec 26, 2014
    The depth of the body is approx 2 3/4" while the f hole is approx 3/16, which is actually thinner than 1/4 by 1/16", right? Regardless there aren't any structural issue that I see.

6. Tinman Funk

Nov 8, 2016
    Arlington
    Thanks for all the info. After researching more, I've decided to buy a new B stock from Gary Bartig. Thank you again for taking the time to answer all my questions...much appreciated! I'm sure all the information you provided will help someone else with their purchase and you won't have to retype it. Good luck in your sale!

7. RW Grigsby

Dec 26, 2014
    Sold it this evening.

8. Tinman Funk

Nov 8, 2016
    Arlington
    Congratulations...glad it worked out for you! And thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

9. Alan Mickelson

Alan Mickelson

Feb 28, 2018

10. Alan Mickelson

Alan Mickelson

Feb 28, 2018
    Did you sell it?

11. RW Grigsby

Dec 26, 2014
    Sold.