1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

eminence with fishman fullcircle

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by D.W., Dec 24, 2006.

1. D.W.

D.W. Guest

Hello,

I know that this has been covered before, but I would love to have an update. I switched from the realist to a fullcircle on my upright, and I'm very happy. I'm now looking at getting an eminence and I would like to put a fullcirlce on (the realist seems fragile enough without having to mess with it everytime you dissassemble the bass). What's everyone's experience with having a full cirlce on the eminence?

Thanks in advance.

2. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I too use a Full Circle on my main upright and love it. In fact, the actual pickup is one that I purchased to put onto the Eminence thinking that it might sound better than the Realist that comes with the Eminence. I installed the Realist on the Eminence--be forewarned that the bridge is small enough on the Eminence that I had to use a hacksaw to shorten the post on the Full Circle adjuster which probably trashes the warranty--but it didn't sound different enough to make me want to stay with it.

A couple of other things. The Realist that Gary Bartig installs on the Eminence has been customized by David Gage per Bartig's specifications and I've found it to be much cleaner, clearer and less muddy than the stock one. Also, there is no need to worry about physical damage from setting up and knocking down the Eminence because Bartig uses a small amount of hot glue to anchor the Realist to the bass. It doesn't come off--I suppose a hairdryer and some careful handling would allow you to remove it if you want--and it stays in the correct position to serve as a guide on where to put the bridge when you put the bass back together out of the travel case. Hope this helps.

3. D.W.

D.W. Guest

Hey thanks lownote, that helps quite a bit. One last question for you, I took a czech ease out of town and the gage was overloading the amp. Do you use a preamp with the eminence?

Thanks

4. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    No. I just plug mine directly into either an AI Focus SII or an SIII coda. It works fine with both amps and I've had no trouble with pre-amp overloading. I do find that I have to roll the bass off to about 9:00 and use the HiPass filter to get the "harder" sound that cuts through well with larger groups.

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

This is the second time that I've heard someone mention different versions
    of the Realist. In a earlier post someone pointed out the fact that the newer Realists have a resistor embedded into the assembly that changes it's overall sound characteristics. It's unfortunate that David Gage (as far as I know) doesn't offer both versions to the public. My bass prefers the older version.

Ric

6. ES1

ES1

Nov 28, 2004
    For what its worth, I had a fishman full circle pickup(adj bridge of course) installed, and use a fishman Pro EQ Platinum pre-amp. I took it to a location music store, which I am looking to purchase an amp. It sounded fantastic! I play bluegrass, and the guy in the store played bass(rock). He said it sounded great as well. Now, I didn't think he'd like what I was playing, but a good sounding bass(acoustic or electric) is welcomed. Forget the genre. It was fun. I had a bass luthier in Cinci, Nick Lloyd set it up for me. I don't think I will ever part with this set up. I have an Engelhardt ES-1, and use steel strings. I get sustain, and boom out of my rig.
    Thanks for allowing my .02 cents.
    ES1