Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMMA DiscomBOBulator.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass-shy, Jun 6, 2005.

1. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I've been eyeballing one of these for a while now. They look and sound pretty sweet, but I noticed that they don't have a volume knob. Does anyone know if this pedal boosts volume like my Mini Q Tron?

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I tried one once, and I really like the sound of it. I don't recall any particular changes in volume and in terms of tone, it's second only to the Moogerfooger out of all of them that I've tried.

3. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i've heard from some people that the effect is too subtle, is this true?

4. i LOVE my discumbobulator...it does not boost volume however...i use mine w/ a boss bd-2 b4 it in one of my looopers loops (w/ a bit of clean blend)...its amazing...w/ the blues driver going (and a tweak of the discumbobulators sensitivity dial) i can get nice big throaty sweeps ala juan adelerte, and w/o the blues driver, this thing kicks out some serious funk...nice and wet, great pedal, i havnt gotten a sound out of it i didnt like

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Sweet! How about the low end response?

6. the low end response is pretty decent...beats the heck outta the qtrons...the lower you set the sensitivy, obviosuly the better the low end repsonse...for when i want that juan adelerte sound (most of the time), i kick in the blues driver and i have the sensitivity dial all the way off and its instant Mars Volta - "cygnus...vismund cygnus (con safo outro part)" I'll dial in a bit more sensitivity if im using some more trebely stuff like for funk jams, but i always leave it on a low enough setting to make my lows and mids funky too, "the chicken" sounds absolutely great on it, its a very sensitive filter and repsonds VERY nicely when u change how and where u pluck the strings (better than any other filter ive tried...i cant believe i almost bought the qtron)...i kno i said i use a clean blend w/ it, but its very subtle, i would have no qualms about using the filter w/o the blend...it works wonderfully w/ every overdrive pedal ive ever owned too...the bd-2 is jsut perfect for it in my opinion...the level dial on the bd-2 interacts very nicely w/ the discumbobulator, just like it was an extension of the pedal...nice mild growl going into the emma is ur recipe for success...it handles the lows pretty darn well (and i have the low B on my 5 string for it to deal with)...go ahead and try one out...i think ull be very happy

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I am going to THE music store in Michigan tomorrow and am trying to decide between the DiscumBOBulator and the MXR Bass Auto Q. My other option is to try to put a volume control on my Mini Q Tron. The volume mod on the Mini Q is hands down the cheapest solution, but sometimes I just feel like adding something totally new to my rig. Anyway, I found a lot of info on the MXR while searching this forum and it doesn't seem to be as highly praised as the 'BOB'. I guess I should try both of them. Your help is most appreciated. Thank you.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    GrindItOut, I'm glad you're happy with yours. I had one, and it completely lost all the low end. Sounded great on guitar , crappy on bass. Maybe yours is a newer revision? I know I'm not the only person who had this problem - a search will turn up a number of other threads

9. wilson, i got mine about 8 months ago...i donno how old urs is...maybe the low frequency fairy tapped mine w/ her magic wand

10. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    i've been using the EMMA for about 6 months and couldn't behappier with it. Killer filter, and the low end seems fine on mine. One thing to keep in mind is that filter effects are by their nature introducing EQ artifacts. My current setup has a BDDI in front of it and a SansAmp GT2 after it so I can definitely pump some extra bass through it.

11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks for all of your help. I picked one up today and am very pleased with it. As for the loss of low end, mine sounds great. However, I seem to remember reading somewhere that they stopped making them only a short time after they were introduced. Since they made them available again, they must have made some improvements. Anyway, thanks to all who helped.

12. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I recently bought a barge concepts VB-jr so I could blend in a bit of dry signal with my discombobulator, but, to my horror, I found that the signal polarity is reversed. The VB-jr doesn't have a polarity reversing switch and, even if it did, that would mean I couldn't have other pedals in the loop.

Does anyone know of a way to mod the polarity of an effect?

13. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    I like the up sweep but not the down. The down sweep is definitely too subtle.
    I've never liked the up sweep on other envelopes I've played but the emma seems to work for me in that respect. The volume seems to be what you put in is what you get out. There are no volume spikes with this pedal. Worth a shot but may not be what you are looking for.

14. Kevin Freeby

Kevin Freeby

Jan 3, 2008
    Fbass, Dunlop strings, MXR pedals
    The Emma is a great pedal I bought that and a Moog Low Pass Filter at the same time with the intention of only keeping one and in the end I went with the Moog. For me, the versatility of the Moog one me over. After playing with it for a while I could get the exact same sound as the Emma plus a ton more, and talk about low end, it's awesome. But the Emma is great and if there was no such thing as the Moog, that's the one I would own for sure.

15. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I remember trying one when it first came out. Compared it to an early q tron and the mailbomb pedal. The discumbobulator killed both, the juiciness in the highs, none of the other pedals could get that, and my lows were just fine. I was demoing thru an all tube aguilar and the 90's all tube fender rumblebass.

16. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I will also state that the lows are preserved nicely with the discombobulator. The reason why I want to blend it is so I can keep the highs. I find the "down" mode is usable. It is good for adding a little bit more attack to the note. You have to be carefull if you have tweaters though.

The general consensus seems to be that it has a smooth sound, which I basically agree with, although I tend to use a compressor (aphex punch factory) after it which makes sure that things don't get to wacky, particularly as I also use a touch of distortion after that.

Oh yeah, it is also worth trying with an octave down before hand to make it really ballsy (I use a micro pog).

17. CuticleThorns

CuticleThorns

Apr 6, 2008
    York, UK
    Does anyone have soundclips for this please?

18. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    +1

19. CuticleThorns

CuticleThorns

Apr 6, 2008
    York, UK
    I just found this.

Clip

Im ordering one in the morning :hyper:

20. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    It was three years ago when I started this thread and since then, I still haven't found a better filter. I use mine in front of an H.B.E. Psilocybe phaser and it is the funkiest, greasiest combo I have come across. It's uncommon for any pedal or effect to have that much staying power on my board, but the EMMA is here to stay fo' sho'. :bassist: