1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Emma Discumbobulator or WMD Fatman (regular fat/first edition)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by premiumtap, Sep 27, 2013.

1. I got an itchy finger to pull the trigger on one of these filters. Can pick them up secondhand for a fairly decent price. Downside, there's no return policy. Scoured youtube for some demos. Found two on the bobulator that were somewhat useful to me, and only one on the fatman by our in-house fuzzman. With all respect, I do like his fuzz pedal reviews but when it comes to envelope filters, well let's just say he isn't the funkiest player out there. So besides the samples on the WMD website, there isn't much to go by on the fatman, nor the bobulator for that matter. Right now I'm leaning towards the bobulator, but some opinions by the TB community would be nice. Which one delivers the funk best?

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    The Fatman is indeed fatter, and funkier IMO. The BOB is great, but it's a bit too perfectly behaved for my taste. Other than the EHX Qballs, the Fatman is the closest modern filter to the original Mu-Tron III sound. The BOB has good low end, but the Fatman is deeper.

3. Thanks for the input FilterFunk. Much appreciated.

From what I've gathered the fatman can produce more extreme sounds with crazy oscillations. I believe you can even get it to distort. Type of sounds I don't really need. All I need is a pedal that does 3 or 4 sounds, but what it does, it does well (quacks and bubbly type sounds). Also, my ears suffer from tinnitus. At the moment I own a digitech synth wah, which I can't use at all, because after 15/30 min. of goofing around my ears start to hurt. It's just to harsh on my ears with its twangy, sustained oscillations. So maybe the more tamed behaviour of the bobulator would suit me better?

Bump for more opinions. Come on you filter junkies, help me out.

4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    It sounds like the BOB is just the ticket for you. You can adjust the attack, it has a smooth decay, and although it's a little too tame and limited for my taste, the sounds it produces are excellent and quite funky. It quacks very well, and tracks beautifully. You can always add distortion or fuzz to dirty it up if you choose.

I'd be very surprised if someone else doesn't chime in. We love our filters 'round these parts!