1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Emma DisCumBobulator vs EBS BassIQ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by funkkky, Dec 26, 2006.

1. funkkky

funkkky Guest

Dec 22, 2006
    I have read many reviews on the EBS BassIQ because I thought of buying it. But now I am not that sure, since many keeps saying that the Emma DisCumBobulator is way better (way is maybe not the word).

Can anyone help me on this, been looking for envelope filters (200$ +/-)a long time now.

Thanks for reading.

2. Shizzle Gits

Shizzle Gits Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I had a BassIQ many years ago. I also have an Emma. The Emma is much better IMO. Currently I am using a Chunk System 00Funk II. This is by far the best envelope follower filter I have ever used. I love the sound.

3. funkkky

funkkky Guest

Dec 22, 2006
    Thanks man.

Since you have tried all of them, I'll check out Chunk System 00Funk II.

EDIT: I think I am going for the EMMA, the Chunk was too much for me ;) (out from the samples I heard)

Hope I am not buying wrong ;) cheers

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I had the EMMA for a while. It's a very good, very natural sounding envelope filter. It can't do some of the extreme settings of some of the other pedals on the market, but within it's range, it's about as good as it gets.

I sold mine because I just didn't need it for my music.

5. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    That's a reasonable comment!

6. Shizzle Gits

Don't be put off by the extreme sounds you hear in the clips. It is capable of doing very subtle sounds too. The pedal controls have a very wide range of adjustment. This helps in getting a wide variety of useable sounds with upsweeps and downsweeps.

7. funkkky

funkkky Guest

Dec 22, 2006
    Okey.... I talked to a guy on the phone just now, he said to me that he had heard that the Q-tron was very respected and a good pedal. Can anyone advice me, if rather I should buy Emma or the Q-tron (+?)

Or is it so that they are equally good, and its just a matter of taste?
    Unfortunately I can't try the pedals, cuz they dont have them where I live, so my choice has to be well >P

8. Shizzle Gits

The Q-Tron is a very good pedal. Envelope filters are very much a matter of personal taste. This is especially true since they are a very dynamic effect. If you are serious about buying one, then you need to get to a dealer that has a good selection and try an many as you can.

9. Bassballs is a secure choice...

10. funkkky

funkkky Guest

Dec 22, 2006
    Unfortunately I can't do that, they have not much in envelope filters.

But I am serious of buying one though, I just love that funky sound. It is quite hard picking out one, but the three I am considering are:

1. Eh Qtron
    2. EBS BassIQ
    3. Emma DB-1

Not so sure about bassballs.

11. EHX and EBS have audio clips on their websites that you can check out. I've also heard good things about the MXR Bass Auto Q, and MXR has audio clips of that as well.

12. get the emma, the guy who builds them just fixed my bass, nice guy, support him :)

13. funkkky

funkkky Guest

Dec 22, 2006
    So I should buy it because he's a nice guy hahaha :D

but seriously, is Q-tron well worth it, and does it compare to the other 2?

14. yep :)

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Of any filter out there, the Bassballs is the least secure choice. When they are discussed, the responses are always "I love it" - "Well I hate it" - "But I think its awesome" - "No it sucks" - "Flea used it" - "No he didn't" - etc.

Funkkky, are you more interested in a smooth, easy-to-control sound, or are you more interested in greasy extreme funk that might be harder to control? That, to me, is what divides the better filters. The EBS and EMMA are known to be smooth sounding and easy to control. The EHX and Maxon are known to be funkier, but harder to control, with volume spikes. (IMO)

16. funkkky

funkkky Guest

Dec 22, 2006
    thank you bongomania for kewl reply :)
    I want a funky sound with no , ehm whats it called, eh... not echo but you know the chorus sound in the back sort of. i want it straight and forward, a hard funky bassline suits me well.

EDIT: maybe the EHX suits me better then? If you sit down and take your time with it, (con)figure it out , then maybe thats the way to go?

17. I have a q-tron and the tone I find is very fat funky and warm. However, when it s turned on it can produce a much higher output than when bypassed. Also, in Boost mode, you can set the gain to a similar level as bypassed but it may not be enough gain to clip the pedal which is how those slightly dirty "chewy" sounds come about. Another thing that is a pain for me is that it runs off of a 24v power supply or a 24v power supply. Not to mention the size of the bloody thing...

I've not tried the others you mention, so I cannot compare or say about them.

Hope this helps

18. Shizzle Gits

The problem with buying these by listening to the clips is that these are very dynamic effects. This means the sound you hear is going to be very affected by your personal playing style, the instrument used, and to a lesser extend, the amp used.

19. funkkky

funkkky Guest

Dec 22, 2006
    Yeah... i guess you could change your playing style a bit, to get the sound you want. Anyways, everyone seems to like the sound from this thing. Everything from wet, warm and funky in the sound descriptions. Good reviews everywhere... I dont't think I'll regret it.

Just gotta do some geeking with knobs :)

20. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i like the qtron+, personally. the effect loop is nice... you can add all kinds of cool stuff in there, like distortion, other filters/followers, or even a compressor to tame that volume spike (i ended up doing this... quite helpful!). besides that, it sounds downright greasyfunkyfreakyfantasticfriskysexydrippingwetgooey and chocolatey. and spicy, too.

recently, i've gone with a maxon AF9, as it sounds very nice (though it requires lots more tweaking than most) and is quite small. and 9V.

both are great!