Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Emma discumBOBulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David Wilson, Oct 23, 2003.

1. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    anyone have any experience with this?

I did a search, and only found one review. Which wasn't very positive, but them the harmony central review WAS very positive.

pedalgeek have them in stock now, sounds very promising from the quote:
    so, of course, I had to order it :D

I'll check in with some samples when I get it and have a chance to play with it.
    [​IMG]

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm curious about that piece. Emma stuff is supposed to be quite good. Let us know what you think of it.

For the record, nothing should ever be bought based off of Harmony Central reviews. Every review I've ever read there has been positively glowing. Seems like that place is more of a place to brag about your gear than anything else.

I would really like to check out the Huo Rust Ride and the Automagic Earth Quake wah, which Godlyke also distributes. Those guys seem like pedal geeks, so I imagine that most of the stuff they carry is pretty good. Mmmm... Maxon....

3. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, so I got it.

It's a very nice pedal, but it became apparent pretty quickly that it's not voiced for bass.

While you can adjust the Q using the width knob, so you can reach down into bass frequencies, I'd say the center frequency is voiced for g**tar. In fact, it sounds great with my telecaster.

But for bass, it did what I previously thought impossible - it made the ebs bassiq sound positively dripping wet in comparison.

4. Ulp...sorry, i coulda told you that but didn't catch the thread. No good for bass, neither is the Frostwave Funk-a-duck,MXR (older) OR that silly Mutron V. Avoid.

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No biggie, MSW. It's going back tomorrow to pedalgeek.

I'm trying to find a filter with a great sound for bass, that's tweakable (but not too tweakable). i.e. the BassIq doesn't quite have enough knobs, and the meatball has too many for me.

I'm thinking you're going to suggest an original Mutron, right?

6. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    I was out on vacation and missed this thread as well. I tried one out a year ago a few times.
    I thought it was very good on guitar, but very *weak* sounding on the bass. Didn't have any
    umphf on the low end.

7. Am I that predictable? Actually, I thought the Mini-Qtron to be quite resoectable as well but yeah; Mutron III all the way baybee...

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, if I'm going to do it I might as well do it right :)

And I've kind of known I'd end up going down the Mutron route eventually. I'm a definite gadget freak, but looking at the knobs on the Meatball I got is making my head hurt.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Lots of Meatball haters here. :cool:

I've got a Meatball, and I LOVE it. The knobs are not very confusing at all. Once you get the hang of it, you can nail all kinds of crazy sounds. I tried the Mutron, QTron, and various others. The Meatball eats them all as far as I'm concerned.

Do not fear the knobs. Embrace them.

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not a meatball hater. It makes great sounds.

edit: meatball, not metaball.

11. Don't hate it, just hate knobs. In my experiance more knobs a better filte does not make. Muteon already sounds good with bass while a "deep" filter such as a 'Ball has to be worked with extensively....good luck replicating that same tone the next eve as well.

12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm not a hater, we just didn't get on in the live environment - the number of knobs distracted me from playing bass. Amazingly versatile, more great sounds than you can shake a stick at, but I'm too impatient/lazy for it.

Alex

13. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    FWIW, I sold a Warwick preamp because it had too many knobs. I'm a compulsive fiddler, so if there are 12 knobs I'll use them all.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    after thinking about this, I think I'm going to order the line 6 FM and try it out.

If the mutron models are really good, and it costs less than an original mutron will cost, and it's expression pedal controllable then it sounds like it could be a good deal!

15. Uh, yeah but you DO have at least _one_ decent analog filter right? I mean, I have an FM4 too and the models are quite good but it is seriously digital, meaning that when it crtaps out, it CRAPS out (uuuugly.) The flexibilty over the parameters is why I scored it too but it is just a supplement to my 'Tron. The volume levels of the FM4 are a major pain too...not adjustable. Oh yeah, all those models and the Mutron ones are the only presets I am able to use the rest just not being that hot for bass.

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I have a DOD fx25, bassiq (reasonable, if somewhat dry) and a meatball.

I figured I'd try the FM4 out, using Musicians Fiend tryout period, while keeping an eye on evilbay etc for original Mutrons for sale.

We can't even see the original topic of this thread from where we are, but what are your thoughts on the Haz Labs reissue?

I've seen you say things positive and negative about it, my feeling is you're positive overall about it - with the caveat that it's obviously not as good as an original.

17. Oh geez...what the heck you need another for? Hmmm...maybe that sounds a bit silly coming from me huh! My FX25 and original 'Tron get me everywhere I need to go. THey both are VERY good at what they do and are well-suited for bass. Low frequencies can cause most filters to trigger wildly so I kinda wonder if bass-friendly ones aren't a bit less sensitive to that range. I like having the FM4 to supplement the DOD +Mutron.
    Yeah, the HAZ re-issue is _very_ good if for no other reason than it's smooth, responsive sweep; better than most. You don't need it. Are you planning on unloading the 'ball or something? My feeling is that filters like that are better suited for the studio.
    So...i ma not sure exactly which niche you are looking to fill? Honestly, a great and simple filter is the Mini-QTRon. Still think an original Mutron to be a must seeing as it is the benchmark to which most others are measured. What do you want a filter to do for you?

18. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Good question. Answer: more toys! But seriously, I want really good smooth and responsive up and down filters. Ideally an auto wah, but that's not essential.

The meatball is great sounding, but given my propensity for knob twiddling it's just not suitable for live use for me. So that means it's going to go. They're worth too much to have it sitting around. The ebs I plan on unloading once I get a wetter filter - it's doing me for now.

I mistyped on my earlier post, I have the FX25B - not the original FX25. I'm not that impressed with the 25B.

So, when you look at it that way I have
    1) Something I don't like that much
    2) Something I like, but can't use live
    3) A reasonable filter pedal, which I can use live but which is too dry for my tastes.

I tried a mini-qtron, maybe I was using it wrong but it seemed somewhat shy on the low end.

19. The general consensus seems to be that the 25B is no good.Mini Q-Tron was plenty bass heavy the _one_ time I tried it? Loose the EBS...nifty "attack" knob, great for "slow gear" type effects but thats it.
    So...Buy a FX25 ($30), a Mutron III ($250) and THEN get the FM4, to fill in the blanks so to speak. You should be able to get some decent coin for the EBS, no prob.
    Ok...I'll shut up now! Good luck..
    :bag:

20. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    MSW,
    thanks a lot for your help and suggestions! I'll let you know how I get on, and I'll probably give the Mini QTron another try out.

All hail the Filter King! ;)