Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMMA pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Been reading about the envelope pedal here but i haven't seen anything about the TransMORGrifier compressor and the ReezaFRATzitz distortion, has anybody tried them on bass? How did they handle the low end? How was the quality of the pedals?

2. Yeah, I tried one on bass in a shop. It was realy great, thinking of getting me one. No loss of low end at all. AND great funn with the bias option, from class A to class B!!! Very good overdrive/distorion sounds for bass.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I'm going to try out distortion pedals sometime this week and the EMMA is at the top of the list. Others that I will compare it to are: DOD 250, MXR Distortion+, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Digitech Grunge, HAO Rust Ride and Rust Driver and anything else that looks interesting. Any input on any of these other pedals? Are any of them not worth taking the time to demo? Anyway, hijack over, I will post back when I have spent some time with the EMMA.

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I can't wait for your reply :hyper:

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Try the od/distortion pedal review mega thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95172

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have read through the mega-thread many times, but the only way to truly know if a pedal will do it for me is to try it first-hand. Thanks for the link though. Some of the pedals discussed in the mega-thread get conflicting reviews and those that don't may still be far from what I am searching for. I was curious to know, however, if any of the pedals I mentioned above should be avoided at all costs. Some pedals just aren't musical and others may have bad attributes that over-ride the positive ones. Also, going to the shop and playing a whole bunch of cool pedals just seems like a good time to me. Thanks for your help/concern. I will post back with my findings, and I may even contribute reviews to make the mega-thread even more mega. :)

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I went to Elderly today and played with a bunch of distortion boxes. First, it should be known that I played a Tobias with a Bartolini MM style pickup through an Eden WT800 head and Eden 2x10 cab. I played with the bass and amp clean for about twenty minutes, to get a feel for the signal that I would be sending through the pedals. This is what I found:

Digitech Grunge: Lots of gain and also lots of noise. Not true bypass. It sounded good for long, sustained notes but fast riffing sounded like a cluster---.

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive: This is a great overdrive pedal. It doesn't have the amount of raunch that I need, but for a little dirt, this is the best that I have found.

EMMA ReezaFRATzitz: Fantastic disto-fuzz! This pedal has lots of gain, sounds unique and is built well. It's a little expensive but worth the coin if you have it. The ability to change the harmonic structure is an awesome feature, however, there are a lot of mids in this little box so it has a tendency to sound shrill. Great pedal though.

Tech 21 XXL: This is the way to go if you like the EMMA but only want to pay half price. It has the same controls and can go as "over the top" as you should ever need. I tested the guitar edition and was very impressed with every aspect. Also, this one didn't have the harsh overtones that were present in the EMMA. Well done Tech 21!

MXR Distortion+: This is MY pedal! It sounds fantastic at low and high gain settings, is built like a tank and only cost $60.00. I bought one of these today. The controls on this pedal are the most primitive of all the pedals I tried, but I didn't feel a need for anything else. All in all a great effect.

These were the only pedals that I got to play today. There were others that I would like to test as well, but I ran out of time. (The store was closing.) All of them seemed to retain low end well and all of them were built solid. I didn't inspect battery access because I use a powered pedalboard, and this might be useful information for some of you. Sorry to leave that out. Also, they all had reasonably transparent bypass. Not all are "true bypass" but I didn't notice tone suck with any of them. Keep in mind that I had a very particular rig to test these pedals with and it is possible that my findings will be different from yours, as we all have different basses and amps, as well as different hands and ears. If I had to rate the pedals that I played today on pure, usable tone, I would pick the MXR first, (and did), the Tech 21 second, the EMMA third, and the Digitech fourth. The Sparkle drive is a VERY impressive pedal, it is just too tame for what I was looking for today. If I had been looking for an overdrive, it would be at the top of the list.
    Since the ReezaFRATzitz was the particular pedal in question, I would like to say that it is also a great choice. I don't doubt that if you were to buy this pedal that you would be very pleased. It definitely has a "signature-sound" quality that isn't present in most pedals these days. If this is a pedal that you are considering, I would advise going for it. I have been nothing short of thrilled with my DiscumBOBulator, and the same quality is apparent in the ReezaFRATzitz. Anyway, I hope this helps to answer some questions. I apologize for the long post and I probably won't re-type all of this in the Distortion Mega-Thread, because once was quite enough for me. Maybe someone can cut and paste it somehow. I don't know. Later.

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Thanks bass-shy for your post! I have talked with a store and i'm gonna try the Emma myself in 2 weeks! Gonna try the other 2 pedals also

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    No problem. I'm happy to help. Good luck.