Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Emminence: Standard vs. Removable Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ToneDaBass, Jun 5, 2002.

1. ToneDaBass

ToneDaBass

Jun 5, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    Has anyone played both the standard and the removable neck versions of the Emminence EUB? Did you notice any differences? Tone? Sustain? Anything else?
    I'm just trying to figure out if there are any negatives, besides price, to buying a removable neck version.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've played them both, and there is no discernible difference. That fact is to the credit of the neck joint - the same slide-in joint is used on the removable neck model, and unless you take notice of the small knob on the back, you wouldn't realize that it was removable.

I bought a removable neck model for my own use - http://www.urbbob.com/eminence.html and will be glad to answer any questions about it.

3. ToneDaBass

ToneDaBass

Jun 5, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    What about for the string life? Does taking the neck off repeatedly reduce the life of the strings?

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    That's going to depend on the strings, the care during removal, and their construction. Eminence provides some velcro strips to keep them in position during transport, so they don't go wild.

I have changed out a few different URB string sets and haven't had a problem with any sets developing problems. Four out of five Eminence basses that are sold have the removable necks, and I've never heard anyone bring up the subject as a problem, so it may be a non-issue.