Emmy Awards and Conan O'Brian

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cabooke, Sep 26, 2002.

1. cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Did any of you see the Emmy awards last Sunday night. Do you think Conan O'Brian did a good job. I love his off the wall sense of humor, but alot of people I talked to don't like him. Your thoughts.
  2. Conan is certainly funnier then Leno or Letterman.
  3. im a letterman fan, he may not be the funniest guy in the world but i like him and paul sheafer(hope i spelled that right) is a bada$$. but conan just seems sorta stupid sometimes. and the little jokes he makes arent that funny, people just laugh cause they are on the show. but i dont laugh.
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Letterman, Leno and O'Brian in that order.
    Sarcastic, Goofy and Embarrassing. :)

Conan has the hottest band though IMHO.
  5. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Conan is the king of late night tv!

leno is so dreadful he's near unwatchable

EDIT: actually, conan is co-king along with Jon Stewart :)
  6. Yea, Max is a dream boat.

7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love O'Brien's humor but it is definitely much more quirky than Leno and Letterman. I enjoy Letterman too and I don't find Leno funny at all. Both Letterman and Leno though are trying to appeal to a larger, more general audience with, what seems to me, the more obvious humor. O'Brien on the other hand seems to be going more for the younger hip crowd and he definitely has his niche. His comedy is really bizarre sometimes and it doesn't always hit (neither do Leno and Letterman though) but I love it for it's originality and creativity. I was stoked when Comedy Central started showing last night's episode at 6pm each day because Conan comes on WAY late on the Houston channel. Later than other markets.

What do you guys think about Craig Kilborn? He's grown on me and I find myself watching him pretty often. As I said above, O'Brien comes on later so they aren't in direct competition in this market. I kind like how Craig treats his guests like they are kind of "trying out" for his exclusive "cool" club. That's the feeling I get but I think it's funny because he doesn't always kiss a$$ like the other guys do.

brad cook
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    [Mr T voice on]

I pity da fool who doesn't like Conan O'Brien

[Mr T voice off]

In all seriousness though, I highly enjoy Conan. I think he's best when he's being spontaneous. Interacts really great with his guest. I do agree, some of the sketches they do are just to "out there". But some of them are just halirous. (such as "In the year 2000")
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    O'Brien is the best.

He's just funny.

Kilborn comes across as full of himself to me and I dont find him too funny.

Connan rocks!

10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I think Conan kicked some major ass at the Emmys. I watched parts of the Miss America pageant, and Mr. Coo, Wayne Brady, seemed flustered and "off". He was just bombing. I don't think it was the right forum for him at all.

Conan, on the other hand, seemed perfectly at ease. He was one of the best award show... guys I've ever seen.
  11. Conan has the greatest skits and jokes, and then the pity thing he gets from the crowd is hilarious.

Not only does his show have one of the coolest bands on the planet, they have some of the best guests, who really interact with Conan.

My favorite guest on the show was Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter. That one was a classic.
  12. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    Conan is the best hands down. He's a little strange at first, but once you get used to him hes fantastic.

Leno is just too dry, Letterman is old and repetitive, and Kilborne is just plain boring (does he even make jokes?).

A large group of friends and myself are heading down to a taping as soon as we can get tickets for Conan. wooo
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The thing about Conan, to me, at least, is that he seems to be serious about putting on a good show. I remember seeing him when he started out and his stuff was half horrible. He seems so much better now. Big improvement.

If he keeps going on like he's done he might end up getting Jay's show in 20 years.
  14. hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    Didn't see the Emmys but I think Conan is awesome. I like the way he makes fun of his own jokes.
  15. Anyone who can come up with Triumph the Insult Comic Dog is good in my book.:D

Rock on
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like Triumph and Conan but Robert Smigel created, writes and does the voice for Triumph. Just gotta give credit where it's due! Conan made a smart move by having Smigel as a writer though! :)

brad cook
  17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think my fave was one of Chris Farley's earliest appearances where he was jumping over the coffee table and running all over the place.

Also when Will Ferrell came on and did Robert Goulet ("single tear...")

Other memorable moments:
    Tom Green coming on wearing a suit made of the exact same distinctive material as Conan's chairs. He sat down and blended right in.

When the audience was made up entirely of kids instead of the normal audience. You'd have to see it but one of their guests was this older newsman (can't remember which one) and...well You'd just have to see it but it was hilarious and the newsguy was really uncomfortable.

Almost anytime Triumph is on, but especially Triumph interviewing Star Wars geeks at the opening of Attack of the Clones. Absolutely awesome. Smigel is so amazingly witty.

brad cook
  18. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    conan was hilarious at the emmy's.

as it progressed, it got less and less about conan and more and more about show-biz celebrating itself.

i stopped watching after the montage celebrating oprah. on second thought, how did i even last that long?

p.s.- the daily show is the best! :p
  19. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Conan is great! His show is the only late night show I make sure to watch. I have always really liked Letterman, maybe not as funny as he used to be, but still very good. I am not much of a Leno fan, but I do like Kevin Eubanks, he is my favorite band leader of the 3 shows.