Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

emo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bushfire, Dec 18, 2004.

1. alright, you've got me stumped-what the heck is an emo?
    I've heard them described as a goth that listens to punk, but I have no idea really.....

2. wait for toasted to reply, he is the emoist of emo kids

3. I'd be willing to explain what emo is, but I'm worried that Toasted might deduct mandatory scene points.

:ninja:

4. seems like a lot of people should be able to explain it, since it's all popular and such...whatever it is. Are we sure it isn't fancy perfume?

5. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    http://www.fourfa.com/

That will give you the true definition of emo.

The more modern one (also called the incorrect one) is more a fashion. The small music part includes: Whiny singers, acoustic songs, deep/heartfelt/suicidal lyrics (bitching about girls more often than not).

http://www.dobi.nu/emo/
    That will show you the current "emo" fashion.

Some examples of the new(fake) emo are: Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessionals, Brand New, Bright Eyes, Cursive, Thursday, Finch, Hawthorne Heights...well, you get the idea.

For the real meaning, check the first site...real emo seems to have been lost in the shuffle amoungst all of the Dashboard-esque, TBS wannabes. What remains isn't even close to emo....

Except Jimmy Eat World.

And also, it is heavily agreed upon in the emo community that yes, Toasted is the emo-ist of the emo kids.

6. riotboi911

riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    dude. you so two tone (i think thats the expression people use)

it seems to me you and your links (where would you even have access or knowledge of such links anyways) seem to have everything definited so specifically to what is and what isn't.

things change. accept it. emo is the new trend, kids dig it. they saw what you call 'emo', liked it, got a handful of their best friends, formed a band and started singing about how their gf left them for their best friend :(
    and thus. EMO.

think about what was considered rock a decade ago. rock doesn't seem to sound the same now does it.

7. riotboi911

riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    yo, and whats up with kids giving themselves titles and junk? and telling them what they are.

ie 'dude. check it out. my gf won't talk to me, and im sad about it. dude! im so emo!'

and im sorry. but i have to get this off my chest. our media class discussion defined emo so specifically. emo (guys) have dyed black hair that goes over their eyes, skinnier than their gf, and wears black converse sneakers with all the little bells and wristles on the side.

the word 'emo' wasn't even in my vocab till last year, 2 years ish. i was always listening to that junk and when i was told it was emo and was all 'what the hell'

for the record i don't dye my hair black. (cause my hair is naturally black).
    i don't have long hair over my eyes, i keep a shaved head and i like it like that.
    im not a twig boy. i can bench my own weight.
    and yes. love hurts, everyone experiences it. people write songs about it. blAH!

whatever guys. thats my rant.
    spelling mistakes.
    grammer mistkaes

if i happen to offend anyone. your taking it the wrong way. :bag:

take care fellas

8. "Zelda haircut." :D

I guess I get it now.
    I think most of it is a conspiracy, though. You know, all those bands that broke up before anyone knew of them....something the record company made up so they could make money off of something, like when they made up Syd Barret.

I'm joking, of course.

9. riotboi911

riotboi911

Dec 18, 2004
    im sorry guys. i have to add another thing.
    i was at this club downtown toronto called the rockit.

and these 2 guys with acoustics came on. and before they got to their song. they literally had a 15 min conversation about how emo they were. complimenting each others emo-ness. something along the lines of:

"man, check this guy out. hes rockin a WOOL SWEATER! isn't that emo guys?"

"yea im emo, wheres my gf? shes in the crowd somewhere. hey babe! check out the collar i got underneath my sweater."

"yea dude, thats totally emo"

and it went back and fourth like that for abit.

:scowl:

10. so would emo be like that simple plan song 'welcome to my life' which is just him crying 'bout how crap life is for the entire song, or the similar 'God must hate me' one?

11. J.E.W. may be classified as emo, but share nothing w/ any other emo classified bands.

Jimmy rocks. Emo thinks to much of itself.

12. emo? We called it Mope-Rock back in college. For the most part, I get tired of listening to people complain to music. Oddly enough, an argument can be made that some of my favorite albums fall into this category (i.e. Pinkerton).

Mike

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Music-related, ergo off to Misc.

14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

That would be considered 'pop-punk', emo is essentially an outgrowth of the DC hardcore scene (while most modern pop-punk is an outgrowth of Orange County, the Ramones and the Descendents). In the mainstream to two sound a lot alike, because then it's all about style and selling records.

Emo's golden years were in the mid-late 90's, when it was a haven for midwestern kids who were bored and depressed by their environment and actually created some very insightful and intense music. Mineral and Commander Venus etc. Now it's all gotten a bit overblown and silly.

But we(the royal 'we') will let Toasted give the full story, lest I screw up and he deduct more of my precious scene points.

15. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    the thing I love about emo musicians is their advanced command of micro-tonal tunings.

;)

16. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    +1

I love them. :bassist:

17. I listen to emo occasionally, and I think this thread has done the definition justice. I even like some of the "not really emo bands" that the genre-nazis fuss over.

Right now I'm listening to Sunny Day Real Estate. Great stuff.

18. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    My friend tried to tell me what emo is, and said AFI was a good example of an emo band. Is that true? (I like AFI)

Graeme

19. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'm so depressed. I can't fit in to my sisters pants. I'm gonna go cut myself now.