Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Vampyre, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    hello all. I'm wondering if any1 can help me as i am new to this whole "emo" thing. The problem is that in the area where i live, emo is probably the most popular type of music (and by emo i mean stuff like atreyu, nirvana etc) and me and my band dont knwo teh first thing about it..other than the 2 bands i just mentioned. Sooooooo, can any1 recomend some good bands that play with the emo style of music...doesnt rlly matter if they are wildly popular we just need to familiarize ourselves with as many bands of the type as possible as fast as we can mostly because we have a gig coming up and we are expected to play this style i know we probably shouldnt have agreed to play it before we got to know the music but its a bit too late now thx (sorry for huge post)
  2. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Neither of those two bands are emo. Check out Get Up Kids, that'll be a good intro to emo.
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Cursive, Rites of Spring, Commander Venus, Moss Icon, Dag Nasty.

Check here for more info.
  4. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA

Probably not the best idea to play or listen to something just because it is popular. You should play and listen to what you like. But of course, it never hurts to try something new, In which case Against Will's post is a good starting place.

You need to watch out though; don't get cought up in the whole genre fight. People will argue until they're blue in the face over genres, especially emo. You'll get the group that says that there has been no real true emo since the 80's, and then there will be the group that says true emo is the Ataris and the Get Up Kids. Forget all of this crap. Listen to the old stuff (Rites Of spring, Jawbreaker etc.) and listen to the new stuff. Decide what you like, but don't get cought up in the whole genre thing and fight about it.
  5. Skaboy21

Dec 23, 2004
    W-R NJ
    i gatta agree with some points here. but for starters, you mentioned grudge bands....so, are u still wanting to play emo or grudge? next, dont try to force urself into one set image. self-labeling is so limiting, and neither music style will really help you become a better musican.
  6. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    You might be confused. Emo is kinda high pitched and whiney about sad stuff and very uhm... emotional. (If thats whatcha wanna call it)
  7. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have one or two opinions:

1) It's just gotta warm my heart to imagine a group of young musicans be professional enough, and to have the 'nads to take an entertainment gig, and then decide he's going to do what it takes to 'satisfy the customers' - putting together a customized, optimized show of what the people want to hear.

2) UNLESS his band lied, and said that they were already an Emo band, or already had a show ready when they didn't; OR they're not able or willing to follow-through, and actually were lying or foolishly presumptuous or have delusions or grandure or disregard for their promises, end-up butchering the gig, and throwing a bad light on the whole local music scene.

BUT - if this is case #1 and not case #2; and let's say these guys pull-it-off without a lot of experience, but just with resolve and effort and dedication to be faithful to their word, and to not look like a bunch of dorks trainwrecking their reputations as musicians - it sounds like the kind of story you'd hear about a famous musician or a historic band's 'early years'.

Don't you think, Old Timers?

What do you think about this, Vampyre?

If you're serious about this, you can get invaluable information here that will greatly increase your success.

(edit) I should say that maybe the reason this post struck such a chord in me is that I recently read a thread where a fellow bass player said that they'd been playing for five years and had never played out with a group. That was really somehow sad to me. A bassist who put a part of five years of their life into bass guitar without connecting and grooving and musically carrying other musicians is at least unbalanced learning, and potentially sad, depending on the whole story, of course. But just on the face of it, a bassist without a band is sad - not neccesarily so with a guitarist, you understand; but there's that special thrill of being the foundation of not only a musical group, but of the audience's groove - like only a bassist can be.
  8. I love emo (but i dont consider myself an emo kid...) and here are alot of the bands I've encountered on my emo experiances.

Rites of Spring, Fugazi, Dashboard Confessional, The Promise Ring, Sunny Day Real Estate, The Get Up Kids, Saves the Day, Beef Eater, Jets to Brazil, Minor Threat...

I'm sure I'm neglecting alot, but there's some to get started. My favorite of these is Dashboard Confessional by far.

rock on :bassist:
  9. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    Hey Vampyre - there was a pretty involved post here a couple weeks ago about "what is emo?". That might give you a better idea of what this genre is (at it's most basic, "emotional" music or, as many will argue, "whiney"). But considering how muddled people's definitions of the genre are, what people on TB consider emo, may not be what the people you agreed to play for consider emo. You should ask people where you live what they listen to. People who will be at the show you're playing if you happen to know any.

This thread alone exemplifies who qualifies as an emo band will vary by who you ask. I think Get Up Kids are and Fugazi is not. The two bands you mentioned are not (to me, they are hardcore and grunge, respectively). I'd say Jimmy Eat World is.

It's a slipperly slope. I think what's more important is for your band to figure out what you guys like to listen to and play and to practice, practice, practice. You need to define your own sound (or the style you want to do covers of) and then look for your gigs. From your few posts, it seems like you guys got together for a talent show and don't know what you like and you just take gigs then ask people to tell you what to play.

At any rate, enjoy your education in emo and hope the gig goes off well.
  10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Some good stuff here, Vampyre. ..You listen'n?

11. If you have any type of file sharing program, download these songs

Hot Water Music - "Elektra"
    Sunny Day Real Estate - "Song About An Angel"
    Bright Eyes - "Waste of Paint"
    Saves The Day - "Jodie"
    The Get Up Kids - "Ten Minutes"
    The Movielife - "This Time Next Year"

There's a good primer for you, I can recommend more if you like.

Dashboard Confessional is not emo, just a guy who forgot to take his prozac. That said, he has made some good music (I say "he" because I hate most of the full band stuff).
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nirvana, Fugazi and Minor Threat are emo?!
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    In that case, my favorite emo bands are: Gary Numan, Faith No More, John Coltrane, The Butthole Surfers, !!!, Sly and the Family Stone, Dance Hall Crashers, XTC, and Atari Teenage Riot.

But this is just a small list.
  14. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It really isnt. Thats misinformation #1 right there.
  15. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Fugazi are essentially at the root of emo, yes. They were number one influence on guy picotto (rites of spring) and also the promise ring.
  16. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Really? Would have never guessed it. I always thought it was weird that I hated Minor Threat due to the vocals, but Fugazi is quite good... :eyebrow: I don't know if Ian got vocal lessons or hit puberty, but his voice got... well I like it, not great, but good.

Well I've asked this in the past, but didn't get a reply: Does emo exsist without god awful falcetto vocals?
  18. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Rites of Spring came before Fugazi.

And the earlier you go back, Matt, the less you have to deal with falsetto. Just bad singing in the hardcore tradition.

EDIT: In fact, just go out and get the 20 Years of Dischord box set. You don't have to listen to the first disc (though you should), you can listen to the second disc, and then read the booklet and get some knowledge in your head.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    uh, I still don't see how hardcore and emo are linked. When I think hardcore, in the older sense, I think about stuff like Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, errr faster more complex punk. I don't know, I guess I give up on genres.