Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EMO

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lazy, Aug 2, 2002.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    What the hell does emo mean?? I always see it in SPIN magazine.:confused:

2. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    "emo" is short for "emotional"-rock. it's more of an indie thing right now, dashboard confessional is usually considered it's popular leader. more people know more than me about it, but basically it's focused around the premise that you can best deal with things by singing them, they cry sometimes too.

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Exactly right, except you left out that it sounds terrible.:rolleyes:

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Must... resist... urge to reply to emo thread... which will eventually become a genre argument...

Ah, screw it. If you would like to hear some GOOD emo, check out Sunny Day Real Estate, older Get Up Kids albums, Penfold, and older Jimmy Eat World. Those are some EXCELLENT bands who give thought to their composition, and are just overall angst-y. (If you are full of angst, emo is for you. If you're not, it will sound whiny. Whatever.)

I would comment on Dashboard, but there are ever so many threads about that group already. Do a search and you'll see the intelligent discussions that occur.

5. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    which is exactly why i didnt comment on the quality of music...

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The formula is;

- Get an Abercrombie & Fitch sweater and some baggy pants you can't keep on your ass,
    - Get some peroxided hair highlights in a spiked hair style,
    - Change your first name to "Kippy" or "Justin"
    - Play a fruit-colored Fender Precision
    - Sing about "relationships"

..... boom!!! - you're "Emo"

7. Hey, I like emo. I even like dashboard confessional! If you want to get a really good emo album, get The Movielife's "This Time Next Year" I'm convinced thats the best emo album ever. Get Up Kid's "something to write home about" comes in at a close 2nd.

"last night on the mass pike..."

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Emo is DOA. It has died as a genre years ago and is just becoming popular, just as the light of a star who went supernova aeons ago is still visible from planet earth. There is no more originality in this music; it is now just a characature of itself.

I laugh at all the preps who go out and buy the Dashboard record and claim to understand emo. They'll never get just how great this music was, just as they'll never understand why Clarity was Jimmy Eat World's most brilliant recording ever. Dashboard confessional is a joke. By this time next year these kids will have found the next Phish or Sublime to listen to and will forget about this "emo" fad. That will be the day I can safely go back to listening to my beloved Get Up Kids, Sunny Day Real Estate, Further Seems Forever et al that I hold so dearly to my heart.

/Rant off

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Exactly.

10. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    well said.

theres so many interpretations ( sp? ) of "emo" anymore. there are those who think A&F is "emo". there are those who shop at the goodwill and are called "emo". there are bands such as dashboard being labelled "emo" while many people out there are enraged with the people labelling such bands.. "emo".

i try not to think about it. quite honestly, it confuses me. what is "emo"? as of right now my best description is that it is a word that best describes the current fad about us. being in a band whos music has been called "emo". ones not quite sure what to think, having been told both radiohead and dashboard are "emo".

if anybody ever finds out for sure what it is exactly.. ill eat my hat. ( if they dont.. ill still eat my hat :p :rolleyes: )

i laugh at the word.

11. i dont see why people dont think dash is emo...listen to dash's "so impossible ep" That EP has so much emotion crammed in there its unbelievable. Just listen to "so impossible" and "hands down" Simply brilliant songs.

maybe its cause ive been listening to dash long before he became famous. Oh well.

call it emo, call it crap, just dont call me late for lunch.

12. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Emo:

Root note bashing bass
    All around skill-less music
    WHINY and ear-piercing vocals (ex new found glory)
    Really crappy lyrics

Basically it's a boy band trying to have a punk image, makes me sick.

13. ohmanohjeeze

ohmanohjeeze

May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    emo bands are not boy bands try to be punk.
    good emo= saddlecreek bands
    (cursive, the good life)
    and the almighty sunny day realestate

dashboard confessional is awfuly terrible.

jimmy eat world was emo. was.

some of the music actually has talent.

excitement.

i listen to emo.
    somewhat.
    i'm called a music elitist.
    dunno why.

14. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Ever listened to Thursday or Saves The Day? Both of their bassists are extremely talented. (Not to say that playing root notes makes you untalented...)

I won't argue this one since I don't have any knowledge of what you consider "skillful" music. It certainly wouldn't be anything I'd ever listen to... :rolleyes:

This is just a stereotype. Take, for example, the singer from the Get Up Kids. He has a very pleasing voice that is not ear piercing at all in my opinion. Also, New Found Glory is not (and never will be) an emo band. They are pop punk. (emphasis on pop)

I don't know of a single band I would consider "emo" that writes crappy lyrics. I think you should reconsider this statement. Unless you want to quote some lyrics, which would be fine by me.

That is wrong in so many ways. Well, actually two. But if you've ever heard Simple Plan then I can see where you're coming from... *shudders*

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Lefty PUNK Bass is criticizing root note bass playing? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. ;)

Seriously, though, I think you're listening to the wrong music. New Found Glory really has nothing to do with emo. If you want I'll PM you a list of songs/artists that you might enjoy.

16. Boo.

And just lay off root bassists. There's nothing worse than people cramming too much crap they can't actually do into too short of a timeframe at too high a speed.

17. ohmanohjeeze

ohmanohjeeze

May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    i don't know if i'd consider saves the day or thursday emo....saves the day is more pop punk like.
    but emo lyrics the best lyrics.
    i think the most talented emo band out there is the appleseedcast....but it's really mellow like most the time.
    but grade A music nonetheless. poop. i'm still all about cursive.

18. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Well if you want to get into technicalities, Thursday are Emo-CORE and Saves The Day were emo on their first two albums, Can't Slow Down and I'm Sorry I'm Leaving.

19. emo is about as indie as 'alternative' was. ;)

20. right on.

And there have been an awful lot of jocks at my school sporting Jim Morrison tee-shirts. Whats with that?