Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Emotional Attachment To Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevenfingerdhob, Jan 24, 2005.

1. sevenfingerdhob

sevenfingerdhob

Nov 16, 2004
    Hey Guys,

I'm probbaly going to trade in my first "real" amp in a few days... so i can get a nice speaker cab to go along with my gk 1001... The thing is im starting to feel sentimental about it. I know its easy to get attached to basses... But amps? I just feel bad because it was there my first gig, and all my band practices, and its always been real reliable for me. And I feel really bad casting it away. I'm i just being stupid or do you guys feel attached to your amps? :bawl:

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I've never been attatched to an amp.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    You always need a good back up. ;)

Hate to admit to it, but I feel the same. I still have my first trace head and cab. :bassist:

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep. If you can buy the cab without selling your amp, that would probably be a preferred approach. My experience has been, that if there's even the remotest doubt in your mind when you sell the gear, you probably should have kept it, and at some later point you'll probably be wishing you had.

Is the cab really that essential where you have to get it "now"?

5. sevenfingerdhob

sevenfingerdhob

Nov 16, 2004
    ehh... im starting to have second thoughts now...

:rollno:

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I wasn't attached to my first amp (a crappy 50watt Rouge combo), but my current head I am pretty attached to (early 90's Hartke 5000, when they were still punchy). It's been there through quite a few recording sessions, been dropped repeatedly, and just been beat up from road use. It has NEVER failed me once even with all the abuse I give it.

I have a new head on the way and I was asked if I am going to keep my old one. Of course I am! I may need a backup and my new head is not rack mountable like my Hartke 5000, so it can stay there for awhile longer.

7. I've never been attached to an amp, but I do have a very good relationship with my Sunn 4x10. I've never seen another being used by anyone around here, and I really like the sound of it so I'd hate to lose it.

I also have an old Marshall head handed down to me from an uncle that has tremendous sentimental value to him. He travelled all over Europe with it, and it survived a house fire with him.

8. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    On a practical level I have to agree with SMASH. HOWEVER I love my B-15N and hope nothing causes me to part with it, even though it is impractical for gigs and I rarely visit a studio. So maybe there's room for a little love here?

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I love my GK 1001RB as well. I just can't sell it. It has never let me down, nor have I been unsatisfied with it's sound. It always delivers. I don't know if you would call it an emotional attatchment, but I am attatched because it does everything for me.

10. I have my 2nd amp, a Crate model 1B. It's purportedly made out of an old .50 caliber ammo box, hence the name. Got it when I was 14- I'm 41 now. I am attached to it, but it's such a weak excuse for an actual bass amp, I couldn't give it away if I wanted to. It does make a half-decent guitar rig, & my standup sounds OK through it.

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I mainly get emotional attachments to amps which I don't own yet. :)

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I have a deep and passionate love affair with my GK 700RB-II... I loaned it to my brother and it's done nothing but make me worry about he's mistreating it and filling it with cigarette residues and such. He's what I'd call "careless" with gear, sad but he needed a head and I had one to loan and figured he was too dumb to handle a tube head. Wow... that was pointless. Anyways, I too love my amps, especially my solid staters. Something about solid state just seems so me right now, maybe I just need a different tube head.

13. I have a Fender BXR 25. Its a small 25 watt prctice amp and it was my first amp.

I got it when I was 14 and only use it at home once in a blue moon, but I could never part with it because it was my first amp.

14. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've still got my Crate 8X10. sold the head though. I gig with my Mesa/QSC/SABDDI rig now. I'd like to power my Mesa, Crate, and the two EV 15s that I have(once cabs get made for them or they get put into a cab) all at once sometime just to cause some tremors(with proper hearing protection of course :D ).

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    my first was a black tuck 'n' roll Kustom 200. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough ... abso' friggin'lootley no sentimentality on that one ...

I get a lot more attached to instruments, but still they are for the most part just tools. Some better than others, some more suitable for a given environment than others.

I know how long something will stick in my toolkit based on the honeymoon period. If it is a long honey moon, it will be around longer or maybe permanently.

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Well, I sold my Aggie DB359 about 3 months ago and have been missing her deeply ever since. You don't know what you've got, 'till it's gone. I swore that i'd never get rid of it, but in a moment of madness, I sold it. Now everytime I read a thread, see a pic, etc. about the 359 I get all sorts of emotions running through me... :scowl: :crying: :bawl: :mad: :eyebrow: . I've sold quite a few basses including my beloved MTD 535, but for some reason, the Aggie's the only peice I regret not keeping (well, also a Fender P-Bass DLX, but that's for a different thread)
    I've got an Aggie AG500 coming, hopefully tomorrow, so I hope we can begin a new, wonderful life together.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The only gear I regret selling is that which substantially appreciated in value, and that usually doesn't include amps and cabs (at least not relative to their size) because they deteriorate over time, even in storage. It's surprising how little rare vintage amps go for compared to vintage instruments of the same period and manufacturer.

It's just gear. Think with your wallet.

18. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I fell in love with Ampeg Fliptops back in teh 60's. I thought they were the coolest looking amps with the exposed, glowing tubes and illuminated Ampeg logo. They sounded great too. I still think they are the coolest looking amps and I now own two of them. One "Vintage" and one Reissue.

19. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    True Smash,
    However, the 359 was the only piece of gear i've sold for a profit. The price I got it for was ridiculous really. I'm gonna give the AG500 a good, long trial and hopefully we can find that 'magic'. If not... well, you never know. Maybe I will own another 359 someday. ;)