Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

empire america???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bradymccluer, Sep 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradymccluer

bradymccluer

May 15, 2002
    I just wanted to bring this up to see if i'm just being psychotic. Do you think we have some overzealous politicians who are trying to get a firm hold on the middle east, or the world for that matter? They started on Afghanistan, they're helping Israel hold their ground and now its time to go for some major oil producing countries.... damn why don't we build those cars that run on corn alcohol or even hydrogen already...anyway, does anyone else think maybe this is more than just getting Iraq's WMDs (Weapons of Mass Destruction)? I'm worried because Vietnam started off the same with communism being the "axis of evil" and i just really don't feel like having another hippie generation hanging around not wearing bra's and trippin out on Ecstasy. It'd be a mess trust me.

2. Oliphaunt

Oliphaunt

May 30, 2002
    I think it's about LESS that getting the weapons

Notice the timing on the invasion.

Another interesting (kinda silly note)
    Did anybody see Attack of the Clones?
    Notice how (soon to be Emperor) Palpatine gained power by having Senate declare him emergency war-time powers?

Now look at Bush's plan. He put forth a proposal for direct Presidential control of the military for the war, and is challenging Senate to sign it. He even says they aren't acting in the best interests of the people by not signing it.

I think it's pretty obvious that you don't sign a blank check for power of any sort, yet Bush has the nerve to go out and accuse them of not caring about our security.

3. I don't know if it's America wanting an empire, so much as Bush wanting to be an Emperor.

That man scares me, he really does. Saddam might have weapons of mass destruction; Bush certainly does - I know who scares me more, and it ain't the moustachioed iraqi one.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think we passed the "might" point a long time ago, yotts.

Here's what some of the most knowdedgeable defectors from the "aspiring Hitler" has said

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/gunning/analyses/ishe.html

That's just one example from several. I was just reading an interview from another defector who was in Iraq's "Directorate for Secret Organizations and Relations" and the Mukhabarat (security and intelligence arm).

Among its activities, he says, was financial support and training of Hamas members at 2 terrorist camps outside of Baghdad.
    He personally went on a "buy" for a trunkful of spent nuclear reactor rods from Ukrainians in Tanzania after getting forged travel documents via Jordan-Sudan-Rome-Algiers.
    The Mukhabarat has dummy firms set up in Jordan, Iraq, and the UAE to buy non-military items under the "food for oil" program. The network is controlled by Saddam's son, Uday, who gets a personal commission on every deal. Curiously, these items are sent to Iraq via places like Dubai, (where they are stuffed with fiber-optics and electronics with military applications). Some of the purchases were for a fleet of trucks designed to haul frozen food. Instead, they are used as mobile-biological weapons trucks.

Even the guy who was head of Iraq's nuclear program has said Saddam is actively back at making weapons of mass destruction.

That's just a sampling of the hanky-panky going on ever since the U.N. wussed out.

5. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    I feel sorry for the majority of Americans who didn't vote for Bush and are being stereotypified (is that a word?!?!) by the rest of the World as triggerhappy hicks who are just looking for an excuse to go and raid another country for their own benefit as all Bushes seem to want to do. What the hell was Bush Jr thinking when going to Afganistan and now planning on finishing what Bush Sr started? What in the World does he think he will gain by all this boasting of freedom for civilised World, not to mention defining "axis' of evils" in public?

Bush is like freaking JR Ewing, but for real.

Money talks and bull**** definately seems to walk...

Peace,

Mara

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hmmm, like father like son...

Remember American Hero aka. Wag The Dog?

No results in Afghanistan -> onward against Iraq? Can it be that simple?

[EDIT] In that context it's an interesting fact that Donald Rumsfeld was involved in giving arms to Iraq during the Iran-Iraq conflict.

7. Even if he does, so what? America, Britain, France, China, Pakistan, India, Russia and Israel have weapons of mass destruction too. Is he going to invade them all?

8. It really wouldn't surprise me.........

EDIT: Above link = :eek:

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I do believe that elminating Saddam as a threat is part of the reason we are wanting to invade, but I think it's very far down on the list (and if it was the only thing, I don't think we would even bother). The main reason we want to invade = Oil. It's all about establishing an oil monopoly and anybody who says it isn't, is blind.

Hey Brady, my father was telling me the other day that he watched a program where they made a car that ran on compressed air. It could reach speeds of up to 65mph. (I'm not sure how good it was on torque though). We definatley could find alternative fuel sources, but oil and oil products are better for the economy. :rolleyes:

BTW, Man, if there was a neo-hippie movement, I would be right there rolling one and jamming out to String Cheese Incident. :D

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I don't give a rats behind about what the rest of the world thinks. They are all losers! We have to continually bail them out of thier own messes, and prop up thier currency.
    After the last Gulf War everyone said it was about BIG OIL, then oil prices fell and BIG OIL took it on the chin. We the consumers benefitted. Remember Sept. 11?
    WE WERE ATTACKED! There's probably some revenge element in going to IRAQ & others sure. We all like it in movies when the bad guys get thiers! We know it's right to stick it to the bad guys, why don't you want to do it now? Does it mean we have to stand for something? Yes it does. Are you afraid to stand for something?
    America is THE GOOD! We're not perfect, but in this world right now, WE ARE THE GOOD GUYS. Going and doing a job the WIMPS of the world are running away from. IT's the BIG ENVY of America nothing more! And what's more, when we're done there, we'll come home, and get on with our lives.
    Now can we talk about BASS and technique and stuff? Because we're getting NOWHERE talking about this!

11. Well exactly.

ps: No he's going to liberate them all! :D

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree.

I'm really scared of all this power and "faith" we are giving Bush. He acts like a dumb a** but he knows exactly what he's doing. He's power hungry and he knows exactly how to go about it. Like I said in an earlier thread, I'm not one of these people obsessed with doomsday or anything, but man, the way stuff is getting stacked up, I'm starting to wonder.

13. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Daschle and the other Democrats were all in favor of taking action against Iraq back when it suited their party to distract media attention away from Clinton's cigar pushing antics.

Now they are opposed to it when the Presidency is held by a Republican. Has anything else changed???

Besides, they wouldn't get as much face time on TV if they weren't putting up so much opposition.

As for the rest of the world, of course they have reason to worry. When a rhino stampedes, it is the grass that gets trampled. If I had a neighbor with way too many guns, seeing him angry is not in my best interests. The United States is the worldly neighbor with the biggest guns.

While I am on the topic, to hell with the U.N. There is nothing "United" about them. They are spineless. They have done nothing about Iraq for over a decade. Have they taken on any other tasks without the United States stepping up to bat and lead the charge? The United States, on the other hand, more than any nation in the world it alone IS a United Nations. Its population consists of immigrants and decendants from all other lands. I'm Irish. Do you think I'd like to see the United States invade Ireland to go after the IRA terrorists? The same goes for anyone else.

We have people here FROM Iraq and THEY want the U.S. to oust Saddam!!! That's convincing enough for me.

14. Hands up everyone here who's envious of America? Nope, didn't think so. :rolleyes:

Get this: there's no envy, we're not wimps, we just don't want a war where the blood of our servicemen will be spilled on some foreign battlefield simply because Bush fancies a bit of a barney. If you want to talk about bass and technique and stuff why not go to the bass and technique forums?

Why do you have this idea that America is doing what wimps are afraid to do? That's bollocks man - when Argentina invaded our falkland islands we took them back, just this time we have absolutely no business being in Iraq! He won't be ousted from power just hundreds or thousands or maybe even millions of people will die in a war that is unnecessary.

Not to mention that thanks to President Blair we'll probably be right there with the Americans, just like in the Gulf War when we failed to kill Saddam.

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's definatley not going to be that simple. This could easily turn into WWIII. It's saying a lot to when I say that, for I'm not one to exeggerate.

16. Now I understand. :rolleyes:

Geoff

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    What's scary is that Bush thinks what Aaron has said...and hence nobody should be surprised why so many outside of USA feel the way they do.

18. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Yes, that was the most popular movie in Yugoslavia when Clinton was sending U.S. forces to bomb them.

19. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    >>> [Bush] acts like a dumb a**

Problem is, that's no act ! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.