1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Empirical Labs Distressor + 1U power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spector_boogie, Jul 4, 2012.

1. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Anybody using something like this or comparable for a live rig? I used the EL-8X on pretty much all my bass parts for our EP and it just of course sounds phenominal. So got me thinking, this could be a pretty sweet live rig. I used an Avalon U5+PLX2402 setup before that was pretty awesome and transparent, and with the capabilities of the Distressor, I can't see this being much worse!

Also is there anything else out there in the 1U power amp world that's decent for bass since the World series has been dc'd?

2. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    So you're thinking U5, EL-8X and a 1u amp?

That would be killer.

Peavey has their IPR series that is decent, from what I've read. No personal experience with that. I used to run a U5, and those things are great. I can only imagine having a Distressor with it!

3. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I probably wouldn't run a U5 "also", just straight into the EL-8X if that would work. My buddy who did our record said i could come test it out running into the FX-return of my Mesa to make sure it would sound pleasing as a live preamp unit.

Thx for the info about the Peavey stuff.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I reviewed the ART SLA2 over at BH Photo Video if you want to take a look. All I'd add is that airflow is front to rear, so you'll want to make sure anything else in your rack blows air the same direction; and there's no subsonic filter, so you'll have to make arrangements for one -- Harrison Labs 50 Hz FMODs, along with phone <-> RCA adapters, will do the job for cheap $$ if you're using the ART's unbalanced input(s).

5. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I've been using Distressor paired with the Jensen Twin Servo 990 Mic Preamp for quite some time. It's a killer, killer, killer set up. I wouldn't take it for live playing but, it's just me.