1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Empress Effects Zoia

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rojd, Mar 29, 2019.

1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Tell you how to connect stuff. I nearly threw it out a window struggling with the expression pedal routing. I knew I was missing an obvious step, and I was. I just couldn’t figure out which modules were necessary, and spent a bunch of time looking for likely candidates.

cosmicevan likes this.
  2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Right now, pitch track and play a synth without glitches, play what you record in reverse. I suspect it can't yet clone the Tensor, but not much else couldn't be figured out assuming there is enough processor power.

cosmicevan likes this.
  3. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I've really been enjoying learning how this thing works. It goes way deeper than my knowledge and understanding but exploring and learning is part of the fun for me.

cosmicevan likes this.
  4. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I'd like to learn more about how to sequence the modules to creat stuff like shimmer verbs and sample and hold filter

5. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Check the patch I uploaded called Creepverb. It’s a hack shimmer attempt.

What you need to do is route the reverb “echo” audio into a pitch shifter and then feed it back into the input. Careful with the levels doing this as your feedback can easily self oscillate and get ugly. On earlier firmware it gets loud fast. On the newer version it’s got a self cutoff safety built in when it feeds back to infinity.

Currently using Zoia to trigger presets on my Empress Echo. I’m doing this for a gig where I have my hands free and I’m playing loops and samples into the Echo. I’ve got free hands and the gig is quiet, so the soft Zoia keys are easier to trigger than scrolling with the stomp switches on the Echo, and with less distracting switch noise.

allenhumble and cosmicevan like this.
  6. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I’m really starting to appreciate this pedal more as a utility controller than as an effects unit. The fact that it can be both at once is rad.

cosmicevan and Adamixoye like this.
  7. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Did you guys have any issues with downloading the firmware updates? I cant get the provided SD Card to format.

8. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    No issues for me.

9. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    What is the reverb "echo" ?

10. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    It should be the wet reverb signal.

11. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    When I select a reverb module (hall for example) I see input L, input R, Decay time, low eq, high eq, mix, and outputs L and R. Would this be the mix?

I'm running mono btw

12. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    which input? The main audio input? The input for the record?

Sorry for the nube questions. Really interested in this and determined to learn it. Thank you for your help.

13. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Hit the google on sound design for shimmer reverb. You’ll find a few things, including some discussion about how Brian Eno developed it. In very simple terms, it’s the wet reverb going into a pitch shifter being fed back into the reverb input. You’ve got to mess with the ratio that it goes back into the input or it will feedback into noise. Start with low connection strength and ease it up. Don’t have the audio connected at first (turn your amp/headphones down).

I haven’t successfully done it with the Zoia, so I might not be the best person to ask about it.

allenhumble likes this.
  14. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Thank you

monsterthompson likes this.
  15. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Let me know what you develop.

allenhumble likes this.
  16. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Totally figured out how to do this. Wasn't that difficult in the end. I didn't realize that the input levels are adjusted by selecting both connections. Zoia is deep.....I'm having fun figuring this stuff out.
    I need to go back and watch some of the tutorials while tinkering with it.

17. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    So.....I have a Boss RC 30 looper. I like to record loops to run through Zoia to tweak and explore different modules.
    I also like to loop post Zoia. Is there a way for me to utilize both inputs/outputs on these pedals so that I can avoid having to change my cables around when I decide to switch between these 2 options?
    Thanks

18. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    There should be. I don’t have the Boss, so let me look at that thing and see what makes sense.

Just off the top of my head...
    This is not the most real estate friendly option, but you could utilize one of these.
    Patchulator 8000 - Boredbrain Music
    I’ve got one and it’s nice for quick routing changes.

allenhumble likes this.
  19. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I like it but would I still need to move cables around?

I think I can do this within the patches on zoia. For example: bass>zoia in L>zoia out L>boss in L>boss out L>zoia in R> zoia out R> monique.

This would put zoia pre and post the boss, but it wouldn't allow me to run more than 1 affected loop as the loops post boss would receive the same effect as current correct?

20. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking but I was going to respond regarding using the ZOIA's two inputs and outputs, which is what I do. You can use them to place effects within the ZOIA's block processing. Let's say you're wired:
    • Bass + FX pedals "A" --> ZOIA L In
    • ZOIA L Out --> FX pedals "B"
    • FX pedals --> ZOIA R In
    • ZOIA R Out --> FX pedals "C" --> amp
    When you create a preset/patch on the ZOIA, you could do any of the following:
    • Place processing blocks between ZOIA L In and L Out, then connect the ZOIA R In and R Out directly --> this makes FX pedals "B" "post" the ZOIA
    • Place processing blocks between ZOIA R In and R Out, then connect the ZOIA L In and L Out directly --> this makes FX pedals "B" "pre" the ZOIA
    • Do a combination of the above, with processing blocks between the L In and Out and between the R In and Out, so that FX pedals "B" are "pre" some ZOIA processing but "post" other parts
    Now, with this routing setup, you only have a mono signal. FX pedals "B" can only be used as a single block, "A" is always before the ZOIA and "C" is always afterwards. But it at least allows you to move "B" around to anywhere in the ZOIA's signal path on a preset-by-preset basis, including all before or all after.

monsterthompson and allenhumble like this.