empty cabs and eminence speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sbskates, Dec 27, 2004.

1. sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    anybody outhere ever bought empty cabs and put some eminences in them? i figure if i bought some and added some nice acoustic insulation and maybe put nice grills on them they should sound great .
    and i could get 2 410's for a lot less. anybody done this route?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    ported or sealed cabinets?

If they're ported, be prepared to adjust the tuning...

If you bought a new empty cabinet and new raw speakers...is it really cheaper than buying a nice used cabinet.

Or...a new Avatar B410?

You might want to give the idea of resale value some thought too... A slightly more expensive, brand name used cabinet might be cheaper in the long run when you factor in the resale value advantage that it would have over some cabinet of other origin.
  3. Man, that is going to be challenging to find drivers to fit this cab. What are the port lengths and diameters? It is hard enough to build an enclosre around the drivers. But to find drivers to fit the cab, with port lengths already determined? whoa!

And to make it more challenging, we will restrict it to Eminence drivers!

I always thought speaker and port tuning would be rewarding and challenging.

But if I was going to go through all that hassel, I would build a folded horn or transmission line or bandpass or something.
  4. sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    i hav esfound this company calle dsteelsound that has cabs that are loaded with eminence and cabs with cheap speakers.

they ar elike half what an gk or ampeg is.
    i kno wthey will need better grills to my taste and maybe some more insulation and so on.
  5. Well the task would be to find out what drivers the designer had in mind when he cut the ports. Can you track down a name or company?
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    I don't have any personal experience with steelsound products, but IIRC, the cabinets are made of OSB or particle board, making them very heavy.

If you were to buy a new or gently used Avatar B410 you'll get a well made plywood cabinet, designed for the speakers that they hold and will have a reasonable resale value.

SWR Workingmans 410s sound great to my ears and aren't that expensive on the used market. Personally, I like them better than Goliaths. Looking at eBay, the sell for between $150 and $250...

If you're replacing grilles and have to buy expanded metal from a place like The Home Depot, you're going to spend almost $20 per cabinet just for materials...

A new Avatar B410 (Delta) is $381 sitting on your door step ($339 plus $42 shipping) in your choice of impedances (get 8 ohm cabinets though). Upgrading to drivers with Neodymium magnets, the price jumps only $20. Plus you get a one year warranty, 14 day return policy and probably the best customer service available.

A barely used B410 just went for $230 on eBay...

As a perhaps locally available alternative, Peavey 410TX cabinets go for about $200 used and sound pretty good...
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    First, WHICH eminence speakers are you intending to use? Different parameters for each of the different series eminence makes, alpha, beta, delta, gamma, kappa, omega, etc. etc.

Secondly, is anyone else but me slightly entertained that he's more concerned with upgrading the grill???? :meh:
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    As "Fernando" said on SNL..."Dahling, it's better to look good than to be good!" ;)
  9. sbskates

Jun 13, 2004
    the grill thing is i dont likethe round disc covers over each speaker i like a traditional cloth grill.

if i can selll this bassoni may justgeta nice used 410 then geta eminence 15 and 15 empty cab then upgradde later to a better 15 cab or another 410.

this site i found has eminence loaded cabs for less than half of what the ampeg are. i understand the resale will be zero but if i can get the same sound with a cheaper cab it will be better than having less cabs and some great brand name on them.
  10. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    I have one of their 2x10 cabs, with some madison archers in it, for what I payed, it is a very decent sounding cab, takes the low B quite well and doesn't way a tonne.