Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

emulators

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by macool, Mar 24, 2001.

1. i was thinking about getting a tube amp emulator. i really dont know what they are and have never heard one. i just know that tube amps have great tone and i want my amp to sound like that. anybody have one or know what kind to get.

"everybody should believe in something, i believe i'll go have a drink"-Murphy

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    A Bass POD or SansAmp Stomp Box ?

3. I can only say i love the Sans Amp Bass Driver. No experience with the POD. Is it for recording, or live, or both ?? How much do you wanna spend?

But before you get hung up on wanting a "tube sound" - go play a tube amp / listen to some tube bass tones! Just because something is supposed to be the bomb doesn't mean it's right for you. Find out what it is before you get it, and you won't be disappointed if you do.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have experience with both the Pod and Sans Amp Bass Driver. In fact, I bought the Pod and dumped it only 2 weeks later for the Sans Amp!

I'm a fan, but I only use it to flavor my sound, not to create the sound, if that makes any sense...

The great thing about the Sans Amp is that it provides tons of flexibility, can be used as an effects unit, a DI box, or even a preamp, if you're so inclined! But, I caution you: just because some people swear by something doesn't mean it's right for everybody!

Do yourself a favor and try it out. But, do yourself another favor, and if you decide you want it, first wait 48 hours, then see if you still want it.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

From what I've seen around the web, the technology may be okay, whether it's the amp or a add-on unit. Then again, it may be the expectancy theory at work for those who bought amps with the circuits, (i.e., "I spent big bucks for the amp with tube emulator circuit, therefore it must be good because to say otherwise implies I'm a dumbass.)"

Carvin introduced it not long ago in their R series heads and the remarks I've seen about it at their board are favorable.

I have a SansAmp Bass Driver. It didn't produce the sound I was looking for, but it improved my sound so much, I'm keeping it. Nowadays, I don't play through an amp without it. Close your eyes, and you might think my solid state power amps w/tube preamps, are all tube SVT's. Best "sound" investment under $200 I ever made, short of strings.

6. i want to use it for live shows and not spend more than a couple hundred for it.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, the SansAmp some of us mentioned will leave you with at least $25 change on acouple of hundreds, depending on where you get it. More $, if you don't mind haggling with someone.

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like the Sans Amp DI, it beefs up the signal and lends a nice sound w/ effective EQ.

I was not impressed with the Bass POD, though the g****r POD is quite nice.