1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Enclosure/speaker dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Memphis Joe, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Memphis Joe

Memphis Joe

Oct 2, 2017
    I want to build speaker cabs. I'd like them small if possible. I have a choice of 3 different drivers kicking around. My goal is to have a combination of speaker cabs I can choose from.
    I will power them with a SVT or ? tube amp TBD. Right now I have an Ampeg B115HP combo and the original SVT 8x10" cab to go with the SVT.

2ea. JBL-D140 been reconed K140
    4ea. Peavey 12" scorpions
    4ea. Eminence 10" Delta 10A

are any of these worth building around?
    Looking for suggestions based on personal experience

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I haven't used a K140 for years, but they certainly never let me down, tonewise or other, back when the 2x15 was the standard. I built lots of 15" TL's in singles, and doubles, and it's a design that is still valid.

JRA and Stumbo like this.
  4. Memphis Joe

Memphis Joe

Oct 2, 2017
    Do you have a design for a 1-15 cab you can share?

Stumbo likes this.
  5. Google TL606

Stumbo likes this.
  6. Please note... the Delta 10As are mid range drivers, you'll need a woofer and a crossover to make a bass speaker out of them.

7. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Here's a classic Thiele design ported cab. It's about as small a 15" cabinet as you can make that really works. A classic that has been made by 100's of manufacturers. It works great with a K140!
    http://el34world.com/Forum/index.ph...f1&action=dlattach;topic=18025.0;attach=48186

BTW- Use void free 5/8 baltic birch. This cabinet will get seriously loud, and bad wood= bad sound.
    If you are certain that the cabinet will not be moved much, build it out of MDF. It will weight a ton, but MDF is as sonically inert as 'wood' gets.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  8. The 15's might be worth building around, but I dont know that you would end up with a small or light cab if that is your goal. If you are planning on saving money with this, you should rethink your plan. You will spend less just buying a used 210.

Ampslut likes this.
  9. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Like the JBL 15's best.:--)X

Stumbo and Memphis Joe like this.
  10. Memphis Joe

Memphis Joe

Oct 2, 2017
    Thank you for sounding in.

11. Memphis Joe

Memphis Joe

Oct 2, 2017
    That's what I was leaning towards either buying or building using my tens. Do you have a favorite

12. Memphis Joe

Memphis Joe

Oct 2, 2017
    According to the PDF, the TL806 is actually built around an EVM12L. I wonder if anyone has used a 12" Peavey Scorpion with this design?

13. Neither your 10's or 12's are really suited for bass.

14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    When were your D140s reconed? I didn’t know they could become K140s

ZonieBass likes this.
  15. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
  16. Memphis Joe

Memphis Joe

Oct 2, 2017
    I was afraid someone would say that. I might need to do some horsetrading to get what I need.

17. Memphis Joe

Memphis Joe

Oct 2, 2017
    I've been looking at the GK Backline 210 I saw offered at a reasonable price.(under $200)

18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The Electro-Voice TL cabinets were basic ported boxes. If you know the internal volume and FB for each box, you can model it with different drivers using one of the free modeling programs, and compare the results to the graphs shown in the original design sheets.

My only critique of the TL cabs is that they are very solid, heavy designs. Lightweight drivers and weekend warrior usage don't necessarily call for such stout boxes today.

Memphis Joe likes this.
  19. That is a pretty low ranking 210.

What is your budget?

20. Memphis Joe

Memphis Joe

Oct 2, 2017
    As it turned out the one I looked to buy was distorting horribly giving me time to reconsider. :)