Encouragement Needed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PajamaBass, Dec 25, 2015.

1. PajamaBass

PajamaBass

Aug 19, 2015
    North Carolina
    I was a former guitar player, saved by bass over a year ago. I still play some guitar from time to time, but bass is my true love. I have two guitars, one acoustic and one electric, and I was thinking of trading the acoustic for a new bass off of craigslist. I need the encouragement that bass is the way to go and gigs will be much easier to find as a bassist. Any bass > guitar encouragement is much appreciated.

2. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Not if you dig the guitar

Duder likes this.
  3. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Never part with an instrument you might miss.

4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    If you are asking complete strangers on the Internet to talk you into something, then you already know the answer.

BassChuck likes this.
  5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    You say that bass is your true love. From your post, I have my doubts, if your criteria for taking up the bass is as above. My best advice..for now at least is...dont sell those guitars. ;)

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Where in NC are you? (PM me if you like.)

Yes! You will be able to find gigs in this area. Especially if you keep an open mind and allow youself to play more than one style.

I'll be happy to help as you progress. I know people particularly Raleigh east.

Go for it!

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If it was me, I'd sell the electric rather than the acoustic. That's because for sitting around and playing some guitar at home for fun an acoustic makes more sense. Just my opinion.

Polfuste and RicKee like this.
  8. Campfire and the family. You and your acoustic strumming the chords and singing the melody - there is a place for the acoustic. Plus if you trade it you will get only 1/2 of what you paid for it. This breaks down to a couple hundred dollars very fast. For a couple hundred dollars, keep it.

There are a zillions electric guitar guys and gals sitting at home waiting on the call. We do not have that problem, if you can play that bass someone is looking for you. Now how you hook up with that person is another story that usually boils down to you asking them if they need a bass. It's all word of mouth. They have no idea you can play, you gotta tell them. Ask to sit in on practice, tell them you are willing to fill in any time someone does not show up.

Play for two bands, one for over 16 years and both of them I made myself available - should they need a replacement. Both cases I was playing within two weeks.

My point, you gotta let people know you want to hook up.

Polfuste likes this.
  9. You are a "former" guitar player. Saved by bass.
    Bass is your true love. You only play guitar from time to time.

Yes...sell the acoustic and buy a bass.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    You can always sell the bass and buy another acoustic if you change your mind.

11. Heket

Heket

Jun 17, 2015
    Essex, UK
    You say you were saved by bass, so you must already have a bass. Why are you wanting a new one, is that one tough to play? You can probably get gigs and jams playing any bass, so why not give that a try before buying a new one? Bassists are in more demand that guitarists but if you already have a bass you can experience that first hand before making any financial (and possibly regrettable) decisions.

Lobster11 likes this.
  12. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    If you do decide to get a bass, don't restrict yourself either to trading or to craigslist. If you insist on doing this via trade, your choices will be limited to those basses whose owners are willing to trade for a guitar -- and, for that matter, your particular guitar. That might be a very short list. If you're going to get serious about playing bass, you want to choose something that you'll really dig playing, not just whatever you happen to find a trading partner for. Instead, I would sell the guitar first (perhaps via CL), and then go bass shopping. With cash in hand, you can shop in other places in addition to (or instead of) CL, including local stores, online stores, and of course TB classifieds.

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You have to decide. Do you want to be a guitarist, or do you want to be important?

PajamaBass likes this.
  14. Winterglo

Winterglo

Aug 29, 2015
    Ilinois
    Wow, I bet that was a lot of fun. The family needs a Bassist? If so you have to get one, if not only for those jam sessions..

15. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Play the bass well and learn to read music. You'll work.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    giphy.gif

PajamaBass likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021