1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

End of a chapter , beginning of another.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Nephilymbass, May 24, 2019.

1. My longtime band Nephilym will be taking a break for the foreseeable future after our last booked show in July 9E482954-2436-4756-A435-2301046C61C0.
    I’m one of two remaining original members and have played in this band since I was a teenager and now I’m 38 years old. It’s been a fun ride. The band has allowed me to play in many states around the country and in a wide range venues from dives playing to a dozen people to playing arenas and outdoor festivals to thousands of people. F2A997E3-EC59-49EC-B114-1DA0CA03BDD3. 4512A7C9-B70F-469D-AF3A-8816CFCC3492. C25375A5-C945-4F42-A415-BB11B3D18F89. 99318CA7-D399-42E1-805C-6E5BE4076EA7. The band has allowed me to play gigs opening for some of the biggest bands in the world and also meet and actually share the stage with many of my music heroes
    104323F4-89B2-49D5-8260-A2091BF502CB.
    We are very proud of the music we have created together
    67B5583D-9524-41BC-B681-B4302A2F7430.

But right now I think what I’m happiest about is that unlike so many other bands we are very much still like brothers. Not just acquaintances who want to play music and put up with each other to do so. We’ve actually been bestman and groomsmen in each other’s weddings. 9EEFD6AF-3ACC-40A1-A61B-D5B41482B3C9. I am proud that we are parting ways and moving forward with no bad feelings and with each member of the band having their next project already in the works. Our singer will be playing Christian country music with a couple guys from his church band, and the rest of Nephilym are staying together and playing in a more progressive heavier band that is yet to be named. Both of these upcoming projects will be MUCH more casual than Nephilym to allow us all to spend more time with our wives and children and to play music that is a bit less compromising.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Good luck.

3. Thank you

buldog5151bass likes this.
  4. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Good on you and your bandmates for doing it the right way, for a very long time. Says a lot about you, all of it good.
    Best of luck going forward.
    giphy.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  5. ihaveaquestion

ihaveaquestion

Jan 9, 2018
    With this name, your Dingwall, and the album covers i was expecting something much heavier :roflmao:. Very high quality material, looking forward to listen to your heavier project, good luck

MYLOWFREQ, wmmj and Nephilymbass like this.
  6. Nephilym has a wide range of influences. There’s plenty of heavy stuff. Just aren’t “singles” lol. This song for example is a glimpse of the heavier side of the band.
    inactually know of guys who use Dingwalls to play country and blues btw lol. But yes i get it that they are mainly known to be used with metal bands like periphery and epica

smogg, Wisebass, wmmj and 3 others like this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i've enjoyed the music/experiences you've shared. i'm sure i'll enjoy what comes. your experiences with this act have been influential for you personally, but also here on TB when you've referenced/shared the act, its business, its music.... glad you have something to move towards --- it's cool when that happens! good luck! :thumbsup:

LBS-bass, Wisebass, rollie 55 and 2 others like this.
  8. Thanks, I’m very happy that this comes without there being any bad blood

rollie 55 likes this.
  9. Thank you sir

JRA likes this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

you're most welcome: with respect! :thumbsup:

Nephilymbass, Wisebass and Spidey2112 like this.
  11. Jsn

Jsn The name “Jason” doesn’t really need vowels. Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Could you share a few details about how the decision was reached? I’d love to hear more about a respectful breakup.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Congrats on....

1) ...a good long ride.

2) ....having true friends.

3) ....having perspective.

Here's to the past, and whatever is next.

13. ^^This, 100%^^ Have fun with your next project(s)!

Spidey2112 and Nephilymbass like this.
  14. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I can only wish you the best of luck in your future.
    Sounds like you guys had a great run, and the fact that you stayed together and successfully ran a band, plus the fact that it's ended as nicely as it has...speaks a lot to the kind of people you are.

15. We have a group Facebook chat so we talk all day everyday even if it’s just to share inappropriate jokes than we can’t post for the public to see. I’d say that’s one thing that makes the band work imo ; good communication. Also genuinely enjoying each other’s company, being friends. We are all good friends and not afraid to say what’s on our minds. There’s no walking on eggshells worried someone will throw a hissy fit like some of the projects I’ve been in on the side over the years. There are a lot of situations where many bands fold where being good friends keeps the band together. Like when we play the beach we make a mini vacation of it. The beach gigs barely pay enough to cover expenses so some bands would stop but for us it’s an opportunity to hang out together also.

There’s not one main reason for parting ways with our singer. And that’s basically what’s going on. The rest of the band is staying together and moving forward with a new project. It’s several different things. Some of it is family situations. For example since the singer joined the band around 2003 he got married and had kids. Those kids are now teenagers and because of his work schedule and being gone with the band most weekends he understandably wants to spend more time at home with his wife and kids. That’s part of it for me and our guitarist as well although our kids are younger and our work schedules are a little better for being in a band. For example I work nights at a hospital and work four ten hour shifts and I’m off three days a week. So I work when my kids are sleeping and sleep while they are in school which allows me to spend a lot of time with them, I go to all their recitals and awards shows, pick them up from school regularly take the to dance classes and make them dinner daily. For our singer because of his work schedule the band meant sacrificing too much family time.

Part of it is a combination of changes to the local original band music scene and fan related stuff. For example back when we were playing 90 minute sets regularly we had no issue playing the songs the fans demanded because there was plenty of time to fit in “self serving” songs I guess is a way to put it. Not that we aren’t proud of all our songs but after nearly 20 years playing the same songs to often can get stale. And if you’re playing a 30-45 minute set the fans expect to hear their favorites. This is one of the covers we play.
    Every single show since like 2004. It’s to the point where the band won’t even run through it at rehearsal we’re so sick of playing it. And we do like it. And loved playing it at first but after hundreds of shows anything gets old.

Part of it is difference in goals with the singer. I think part of it is he had hoped the band would have gone farther. Which we did pretty well. At one time we were on a small record label but like many record labels over the last decade or so the label folded. He thinks country will be a better genre for him. Which personally I can’t argue against. Here in NC country music and hip hop are the most popular styles not rock or metal. Myself and our guitarist and drummer arent out to conquer the world. We just want to create music we like and if people like it cool, if not that’s ok.

I think the rock scene being down here is a part of it. We’ll all be going different directions away from rock music. Singer to country music and the rest of the band to a more progressive and heavier sound. Rock music is an aging scene here. Most people who are rock fans will happily pay $400 to go to Epicenter or Carolina rebellion but won’t spend $10 to support local bands. They expect it to be free. So basically we got to a certain point and then stopped reaching new people and just started seeing the same faces at every show. Which then declined as those people stopped going out as often because they had kids or got netflicks lol. The local metal scene has a bit more of scene here. Bands are more supportive of each other. And the fans are more laid back.

Part of it is wanting to play what we want to play but refusing to be what we refer to as “band whores.” We don’t want to play in multiple projects at the same time like we all did in our 20s so style wise we don’t want to compromise as much as we used to be willing to.

16. Geographically, I'm not in your area and I have had long layoffs from TB, but I remember some years ago you invited members to have a listen and I did (roundabout the time you had your opening slot). I genuinely enjoyed that and I'm glad to hear that you've kept your enthusiasm and friendships. Good luck with your future direction.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  17. Thank you for listening. I didn’t realize that many people here on talkbass actually checked out our music

rollie 55 and 1bassleft like this.
  18. A pleasure. I do try a listen on a recommendation here - whether a member's own act or an artist new to me - and can commend the discerning ability of the TB community's earballs.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  19. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's a heck of a good run - Congrats!
    Good luck with new opportunities. More opportunity for growth!

20. You guys had a great run. It’s cool you are all in good terms.

The reunion tours and gigs will be epic!!