1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

End of my rope; Ampeg SVT210HE problem...Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by manwiththedogs, Mar 2, 2008.

1. I know that there are many tech-savvy posters here, and I'm hoping a few of you will take pity and try to help me out.

Running an Ampeg SVP pro into channel 1 of a Carvin DCM600 power amp set to "parallel" mode via balanced 1/4 cable. 8ohm 210 into channel 1, 8ohm 115 into channel 2.

The problem is, when channel 1's volume is turned up much past "2", the entire rig cuts out...no sound:meh:
    This happens only when the 210 is in the mix, when running a 410/115 speaker setup everything's fine.

I dismantled the 210, hoping to find something obvious like a cold solder joint, torn speaker, loose wiring, anything...no luck:(

Anybody got any insight/ ideas on what the problem could be?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated:)

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    It seems to me that I'd be looking at the Carvin before I would the Ampeg.
    Take it into a shop with the cabinets and I bet you the issue is with the Carvin.

Try useing a different 8 ohm cab in place of the 210.
    I'm thinking it will do the same thing.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Are you using a different speaker cable only with your 2x10 by any chance?
    If not, double check your 2x10's ohm rating with an ohm meter.
    (maybe it'll shed some light on these rather bizarre symptoms)
    Try running your 2x10 alone without bridging your amp too.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Ayap........ look at the cable and amp.....

hard to see how the channel 1 and channel 2 are related. Even if the 210 were shorting, it should only affect that channel, not 1 AND 2.

Of course, teh Carvin may be made with one output relay or some such thing.

I suppose the channel 2 really IS working, right?

Try reversing, swapping the 210 to channel 2 and the other to channel 1. See if it still happens.

5. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    also , any chance of the 210 speakers being rewired or replaced with a lower ohmage speaker ... like if it were 2 4 ohm speaker wired in parallel instaed of series you would have a 2 ohm load instead of an 8 ohm . this would definately trip the amp into protection mode and shut it down .....

6. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    scratch that , the carvin is rated to run 2 ohm stereo ... so if you cahnge nothing but the 210 for a 410 there is no problem ? right ? if so , theres a wiring problem in the 210 somewhere . also , what happens if you only use the 210 ?

7. Nope...everythings fine when I use a 410 in place of the 210

Tried it...same result:(

Yes. No problems running 410/115
    Same thing...craps out with the volume turned up over about "2"

The speakers in the 210 are 4ohms each...how would I tell how they are wired (series, parallel) ?

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Here ya go: http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

But you really should still get an ohm meter and check that 2x10 anyway.
    (Just plug a speaker cable in and take your readings off the two conductors at the other end) let us know your readings.

ps: you never answered my question about the 2x10's speaker cable...

9. I'll do that.

Sry...same brand of 16 gauge speaker cable - 1/4 to Speakon - for each cab.

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It obviously doesn't shut down when you plug it in, right? So you must be doing some particular thing, playing some note, etc to cause it to shut down. What is that?

Also, check the 210, if it is wired parallel for 2 ohms, instead of series for 8, you may have just found out that the 2 ohm rating of the Carvin "has some issues"..............

For 8 ohms, a wire should go from the jack to speaker #1, then from the other terminal of speaker #1 to speaker #2, and from speaker #2's other terminal back to the jack.

Any other wiring might be trouble.

11. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    i think me and jerrold are on the right track with the possibility of the cab being wired at 2 ohms instead of 8 . i also have to wonder if the carvin will run a mixed ohm load on the channels , like ch. a = 2 ohm and ch. b = 8 ohm .... i dont know if this matters on the carvin or not ..... but its definate your 210 cab is the source of the problem ...

12. All four speaker wires lead to a clip that connects to the crossover assembly :meh:

I'm obviously in over my head here...this thing is going into the shop tomorrow:rollno: