1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

End of the world...in simulation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Masher88, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  2. Bring it on!

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Wow...that was depressing.

4. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    As long as Keith is here, I feel safe.

5. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Advanture.:cool:

But still,Jupiter is pulling such big objects from our orbit,it saved us countless times.Its highly doubtful that such a big object will hit the earth without being effected by Jupiter's gravity.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Pssh... as long as we've got Ben Affleck, I'm not worried.

7. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    cool.

8. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    obviously they didn't send Bruce Willis to blow it up armed only with a aerosmith cd :scowl:

9. My lecturer for orbital mechanics was telling us the other day that one of the post grads at my uni one a competition for solving this very problem. Apparently her solution was something to do with covering it with foil so that it changes the way it behaves in the solar wind and over time will push it off course so that it misses earth. I thought that was an interesting approach to the problem.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Carrots.

11. I was bracing myself for the RickRoll, but it did not come.

12. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    The answer is very simple. Everyone points their bass cabs towards the asteroid, cranks the volume and we send it back into space.

13. hopefully we have another few billion years to go yet. Even if that doesn't happen we can't escape our sun exploding sadly.

14. We could always move earth and find a new sun.

15. Or just populate a new planet...

16. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I call bs :D an object like that would probably break the earth in many many pieces.

17. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    at least it's quick.....

hold me

18. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Kind of like the realistic version of Deep Impact with MOrgan Freeman and Elijah Wood. They should name the comet Beeterman, so we can have a movie aspect of death.

19. Scenarios like this one are why I advocate a strong manned space program. The only way to stop something like that is to find it many years before it threatens us, then go and "nudge" it into a different orbit (possibly using a technique like blizzard mentions). So, we need to spend money on detection, and be prepared to get there and do something about it.

Keep in mind that event isn't a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when" (maybe not a 500km asteroid, but it wouldn't take one that big to wipe us out!). The evidence is all around us that we get smacked around regularly, in the cosmic sense.

Our sun won't "explode", it's too small for a nova or supernova event. However, it WILL expand into a red giant as it runs out of hydrogen and starts fusing helium, and will eventually be of a larger diameter than our orbit, before collapsing into a white dwarf. All in 4-5 billion years, so we have time to figure out how to avoid becoming a cinder...

;)

20. Doubtful. The prevailing theory for the creation of the moon is that the earth was struck by a Mars (~6780km) sized body about 4.5 billion years ago, the mass ejected by that impact eventually formed the moon. This theory is backed up very strongly by evidence from the moon itself (isotopes in returned lunar regolith & rock samples match those of ancient earth rocks), and numerous simulations.