End Pin recomendations

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Type-55, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Any recomendations on end pins? The bass I just got might need a new one. Again, any info is appreciated.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have the one sold by the Bass Cellar in Cincy, and I love it. It fits a crutch tip, will fit a wheel, and has a point under the crutch tip that will stick into marble if you so desire. A google search on "bass cellar" will get you to the their site, then just navigate to the endpin link.
  3. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    I have the same end pin as Chris in one of my basses. I believe it is the Mallot End Pin, named after its designer Chris Mallot.

I think that it is excellent.
  4. I have that one from Kolstein, I think they call it the "Panormo"
    I heard it was actually designed by Jacques Ganon of Cremonasia.com "Cremonasia" is in the Philippines
    I like it because it's flat on one side, so it can't turn. I did take a look at the one Chris and Tim have (just the picture.) I have bass coming up that will need one, so I may try that one.
    I've been kind of waiting for this newly designed one, I think I saw it on JR's site? The cello model is out and the bass one is supposed to be on the way. Instead of a thumb screw, you turn a big rotor type tightener. It looks stable as hell!
    Anyone heard about this one?
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    KC Strings in Kansas City also has a very good endpin made exclusively for them. I had one installed in the Engelhardt that I owned. It was like putting Z-rated tires on a Civic.

It is a little pricey (around $90 or so) but is overbuilt in every aspect. It is the nicest conventionally-designed endpin I have ever ran across. There is a bit of info on it at the KC strings website.
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Does changing the end pin alter the basses tone?
  7. Ill plug the goetz endpin. Never had any problems with it.
  8. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've been waiting for that too. I asked them about the bass version and it is in development. The idea of carbon fiber for improving the sound (purely because it's carbon fiber and not metal - not because like the Laborie pin it fits in an alternative location) is interesting. And definitely that rotor-type tightener looks interesting too.
  9. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    JR's site, Paul? That's not clicking with me this early in the morning. What site is that?
  10. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    http://www.jrmusicsupply.com. The ad is there on the front page at the bottom.
  11. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Count me in on the Geotz endpin too.
  12. I've had the goetz pin on a couple of basses now, and after many miles on a wheel and a lot of gigs, I've never had a problem. I've also been using my home made bent endpin for a few months now off and on in the goetz socket, and that hasn't given me any trouble either. You do have to get a crutch tip for it though, because the stock one sucks. I ground down the stock rubber a bit, and with a bit of lube it slips inside a supermarket crutch tip and stays there quite well. I have also played some basses with the bigger hollow endpin, like the one hammond ashley uses, and I don't think I'd reccomend that. I haven't owned one but they seem kinda flimsy and poorly made, especially the socket and screw. I could be wrong of course, but that's the impression I get.
  13. I don't know what's going on with JRs site. I have it in my favorites and I can't get it to come up either.
    Also, Rick your question,does changing the end-pin change the sound of your bass?

I feel anytime you unload the string pressure and take the bridge off a bass, you better be prepared for a change in sound/action. In the case of exchanging an end-pin, you can't even use a bridge jack to keep pressure on the top so your post doesn't fall. I've done it a couple times with another person putting pressure on the top to keep the post from falling.
    Has anyone tried that EP from KC? It looks strange to me. The picture on the site just shows a bunch of them lined up with white numbers on them. Can someone post a picture of one mounted on a bass to give an idea what thry really look like?
  14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Here's the pin installed in my old Swingmaster. It's collapsed, but perhaps you get the idea. As mentioned, they are built very solid.

One of my favorite things about them is the design of the rubber tip. It is very tough, but it is also rounded as you can see, so if you lean the bass over quite a bit, it still holds to the floor pretty well.

FYI, the tip can be purchased alone and fits on about any 10mm fine threaded shaft.

Attached Files:

• pin.jpg
      File size:
      16.3 KB
  15. Thanks Charles...I may give just the tip a shot. I see you have hardwood floors and don't see any big, ugly black skid marks on them....I take it they don't mess up your floors?
  16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

No. The rubber is very, very hard. I would imagine it would be the last rubber tip anyone would ever have to purchase.

I never noticed it making any sort of mark on the floors. My floors are that laminate stuff, similar to Pergo, if that makes any difference as far as marring. I can't imagine that it would.

Now if you want to talk about the rosin that I have been getting all over the floor, that's a different story. I was on the Mrs.' hit list for a while until I found something that would take it off the floor without hazing the finish.

I bought one of those big floor mats made to go under an office chair to go in the bass practice area to keep the peace.

FYI: I doubt there'll be any issues, but if KC Strings gives you any hesitation about shipping or anything, send me a PM. St. Louis Strings, a branch of KC Strings, is between my home and office. I can stop by and get you one and throw it in the mail.
  17. Thanks for the offer man...i'll let you know.