End Pin Tip Replacement

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Axtman, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The original black rubber end pin tip on my Upton bass was leaving black marks on light colored carpeting. My jazz guitarist's wife was complaining. So to ensure domestic tranquility (and not get kicked out of our practice space) I set about to replace the tip.

I went to the hardware store and bought white chair tips. The package of 4 was about $6. I was originally going to cut the whole end pin tip off and replace with a 3/4" inside diameter tip, but then the chair tip would be too short. Then I realized that I only needed to cut the "collar" off my end pin tip and use a larger 1" inside diameter tip. The chair tip is still short but the black inner tip shows.

Now everybody is happy.

Attached Files:

2. MrMyopia

MrMyopia

Dec 1, 2016
    Little Rock AR
    Been there. A tennis ball over the tip works good too.

3. You should invest in one of the new harmony ball ends, they are well worth the money imho

4. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I second the Harmony ball end replacement. I now have one on both of my two basses. Work great on any surface - concrete, wood, plywood, carpet, wood chips - at least for me. Fits the threads on the regular end pins.

5. I just poked through my last crutch tip and ordered the ball end from Golihur (they were super fast as always!).
    I am late to the party on this but it does wonders for the balance. Transition to thumb position and back is more fluid than ever.
    So: get some kind ball down there.

Tom Lane likes this.
  6. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Oh, come on... How can using a small ball instead of a normal crutch tip affect balance? I don't see it.

Don Kasper likes this.
  7. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer

Jun 3, 2009
    Los Osos, CA
    I didn't like the ball end. The rubber broke away after a year or so for me. And it slid out more than tips with harder edges.

I love the onyx endpin and tip. I get them from Lemur.

But in your case for trying to not stain white carpet...every endpin tip I've had screws off and then there is a spike exposed at the end of the pin. I would save some money and just unscrew the tip and use the spike on carpet. The spike holds better in carpet than any rubber stopper anyways.

8. It moves more freely. Obviously, I didn't see it either or would have had it 20 years ago.

9. It makes a huge difference both standing and sitting.

10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    "Come on guys, it's all ball bearings now. What do we need, a refresher course?"

neddyrow likes this.
  11. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    The store brand Well-Walgreens replacement cane tip has a metal washer inside which prevents poking through and they last forever. There are two in the box for maybe $5.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  12. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    To be fair, I always buy these in twos, one usually comes apart really quick (the hard plastic collar comes out of the rubber ball). They also wear down really quick. I've had better luck with the walgreens screw on crutch tips. Love newharmony, hate these endpin balls... (I also had an issue with the adjustable laborie... big problem with the thumb screw unit getting "patina" in just a few days (looked like oxidation), and also the CF rod was not stiff enough/had too much bounce)

13. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Hey, I want to pile on.

My problem is not the marking of the floor, but the bass gradually walking away from me on a hard floor. I use either the little black rubber tips (I think 5/8" ID) which I can buy at the hardware store, or bigger white ones which I can also buy at the hardware store.

The black ones wear through kind of quickly (although replacing them only takes about 2 minutes) and the white one seems to last a very long time.

But, in both cases, the tip is really designed for something that's more or less perpendicular to the floor. My bass end pin is angled to the floor, thus a gradual walking away from me.

Would the ball help this? Does anyone have actual experience, as opposed to speculation?

14. neddyrow

neddyrow www.simmerinstew.com Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    i got an axiom graphite end pin here from a guy on TB.

really liking the ball end made of some carbon composite. no slip, no marks, very happy.

the part i didn't like was that the ball end was magnetically attached to an internal spike end. it kept coming off in travel. being afraid to lose it and not using the spike end ever, i superglued the ball end on. problem solved.

15. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I have a black rubber ball the screws on over a sharp spike. Both work great, but I very rarely feel the need to switch to the spike.

16. Busted through two of those since October. I have a Gotz endpin with a spike. I used the metal bit that screws on so it wasn't the spike bursting through.

That is the one I ended up with. I can't speak to it's durability but as I said, it makes playing the bass more fluid than the crutch/cane tips which are being stressed unless you play with the bass straight up and down. Since I let the bass balance on me and come to rest on my shoulder for TP the ball is far more fluid.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  17. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Matches my experience perfectly.

18. I have the same ball from Gollihur that others have mentioned here. It, in my experience, is no better at preventing the bass from creeping away than a crutch tip or similar. It was actually worse for a while when new, but seemed to get a little stickier with use. Just my experience...

19. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I can't say for sure if mine is the same one, but
    @Jake deVilliers would know.

Mine works great, though. I think I've preferred the spike maybe twice in ~4 years.

20. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    When I stand, my bass doesn't wander, so I can use either the spike or the rubber tip that screws onto the endpin.

When I sit, I use the spike on any surface that won't be damaged by it. I've not found a rubber anything that won't slip on a smooth floor, so where i cannot spike into the floor, I spike into the Xeros endpin anchor:
    Amazon.com: Xeros Anchor Endpin Rest for Bass: Musical Instruments

I store it in my tool pouch:

IMG_0761.JPG

The seat is nicely broken in now.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    piggywiddle likes this.