Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

END PINS

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Joe Taylor, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Any of you all use an after market end pin? I was looking at one on the web that was 5/8's inch in dia. Made of "special" steel for orchesrta work and a second end pin make of graphite composit for jazz work. Is the upgrade worth it?

Joe

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Aftermarket? A word that I've never heard in The Bass world before.

If your endpin is giving you fits, then replace it.

I mentioned in another thread some time ago that I had a big sound-quality boost when I put a decent endpin on the Christopher 7/8 that I had. I changed the endpin so that my wheel would fit all of my basses and the improvement in sound (more fundamental, and a bit richer overall) was just a nice surprise.

3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I am so glad I put in a new endpin. I had one of those skinny grooved ones and I replaced it with a FAT (i'd have to go measure, but i'd say it's like an inch) non-grooved one. People say the non-grooved ones slip, but mine doesn't, and it feels way more solid. I did have to scrape the metal to mark the height I usually play at, but no big whoop.

4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like the super duper end pins arn't a bunch of voodoo after all. I think I going to put one on my upgrade list for some time this coming summer.

Ray what kind of strings did you use on your Cristopher bass? I leaving the factory strings on while I get my chops back then plan to go with helicores medimum orchestral set. Kind of funny the factory generic strings don't sound bad at all on my bass I emailed the Concord Group and asked what kind of strings they were the reply was generic. I guess that means el cheapo's.

Joe

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Spirocores. Can't get off the damned things.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've liked those on a few basses. My bass is a bit young to get what I want with them just yet, though. Isabella seems to like her strings tight and mean at this point...

7. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Can anyone provide more info on the various end pins that are available? I purchased a '52 Kay recently, and there is an occassional rattle that sounds like it could be the end pin (even though the set screw is tight). I was looking at the Lemur catalog last night, but all I can interpret is that there are numerous end pins available at various prices. What are the pros and cons of the various choices? Should I be get wood or metal? Etc...

Thanks in advance -
    Jim Dombrowski

8. Jim,
    You will most likely need to have a double bass luthier install your new endpin. Any replacement endpin you buy will no doubt have a socket that is considerably larger than the stock metal socket on a Kay. Proper installation of an endpin required a special reamer. It may end up cheaper for you to get your endpin from the luthier than to pay him to install one you buy somewhere else.

9. I have used an Eggpin for the past couple of years, and I love it! It is not really a traditional endpin,
    it has a collar that fits over your endpin plug, and you can adjust it to any angle or height that suits you. I got it from Lemur, and it was well worth it.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Is the endpin a lot longer than what you're using? You might be able to fix the problem with a hacksaw.

11. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Jim, the Kay/Engelhardt endpins are horrible, I had rattles from mine that never went away. There's no cork in the plug, just a rubber o-ring that doesn't work. I replaced the endpin on my Engelhardt with an ebony endpin from Lemur. I think the endpin was around $40 and my luthier installed it for $20. Money well spent for an improvement in appearance, function, and sound. While your at it, get the stainless tailpiece cable from Lemur ($10) and toss that coat-hanger wire.

12. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Just bumping this post...

Any opinions on the endpin on this page? It's from Cremonasia, a very good Luthierie place which is fortunately, only 2.5 hours drive away from my place. I'm currently having my newly-owned first-ever DB repaired there, and the enpin is one of the things to be added to my bass.

Thanks!

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    From what I can see, it looks fine. You won't regret getting one with the notches in it, trust me. Congrats on your new bass. :)

14. joon

joon

Mar 16, 2002
    Manila, Philippines
    Cool! Thanks a lot chief!

15. ksdaddy

ksdaddy

Jul 5, 2002
    Caribou, ME
    I bought a new EC-1 back in June. The end pin rattled from Day One. I removed the end pin socket, took out the o-ring, and ground just a little bit off the inside of the socket, on the narrow part just above the o-ring. There's only about 1/16" from the o-ring groove to the end of the socket. I opened it up maybe .010" or .012". Then I reinstalled the o-ring, put the socket and end pin back in, no more rattle. I forwarded this info to Engelhardt-Link, and they might try it, who knows? The fact is, once the socket was out, it took about 15 seconds to fix an agonizing problem, it didn't cost a penny, and didn't affect the structural integrity of anything.