Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ending the Moratorium, but you must read this first.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Alright, so there is no longer a moratorium on political threads. This also does not mean that it's open season. Please take a moment to re-read the "Posting Guidelines" thread at the top of this forum.

It is imperative that all members practice absolute discretion when posting any thread that is political in nature, or has a very probable chance of turning political.

Some key points to remember:
    • Avoid using "rolleyes". Understand that this usually conveys disdain for another's opinion, which is obviously disrespectful.
    • We have lost many members of this board because of events that took place in political threads. It is not necessary to ever insult or offend.
    • Remember that we lose so much in an internet forum, voice inflection, tone, facial expressions, mannerisms. Give people the benefit of the doubt, most times they do not mean to anger you.
    • If you become upset or offended at a post, walk away. It's an internet forum people, about music! There's no need to get worked up, but if you do, resist the urge to "Post Reply". Simply walk away from the computer, and compose your retort when you have a more level head. You'll find what you say to be more thoughtful, appropriate, mature, and considerate.
    • The OT mods still reserve the right to close political threads if we believe that a flame war has erupted, or is about to. Remember, our job is to keep the peace, and sometimes the greater good is to simply end the conversation.
    • We're all friends here.

Good luck.

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

May God bless us all!!

3. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Long live talkbass!!

AND THE OLSEN TWINS!!!!

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow, i like. I don't take part in any of them, but there seems to be nothing wrong with actully talking about politcal things. but i see where bickering is silly, pointless, and how people get worked up over nothing. I like the points jazzbo made in his post, and following these would most likely lead to you sounding smarter, and making talkbass more enjoyable.

Whoa. I SAID that? Well it's true guys.

Long live TalkBass!

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    another thing - when someone does start something seemingly inflamatory, please let the mods know first, before you dive in with guns blazing. some otherwise good discussions have been closed or canned because they turned into a flame fest which originated in a single argumentative post.

as a mod i'd rather get a few extra "report this post" notifications then to have to prune a thread of 20 flames after the fact, or close down an otherwise good discussion that wandered off into pissy-land.

7. Amadeus

Amadeus

Apr 16, 2002
    Suggestions I'm going to try:
    1. Fresh air
    2. Play my favorite tune(s) on my favorite bass
    3. Spend a quick 10 or 15 minutes going over the last thing I learned, theory or technique
    4. Go through 3 or 4 scales starting with 1/8 notes, then 1/4, 1/2, etc....

8. Yeah, someone just posted something in a political section that I find horrifying, but you know what? The mods are right. Just leave it alone. No one is forcing me to look at that thread.

I feel better about myself now...:D

9. That'll be in the latest "War on Iraq" thread, yeah?

I applaud you, and respect you for that. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have said all that I said there.......

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I remember someone telling me something to the effect....

....to me, TalkBass is one big party & I try to stay away from those threads.

11. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

J/k ;) I've never really seen the point in getting all worked up over politics, especially online in a bass guitar forum. Everyone has opinions, why must others insult someone for something someone else thinks?

Lets just all be happy, and when we have to, agree to disagree. No need to lose eachother's respect over a simple difference of opinion!

12. sofa king, you'd be surprised on some of the disrespect that's going on RIGHT NOW as we speak....

13. wow, have not been on in a couple days. and the mods are right. there is no reason to fight over politics. everyone is entitled to their opinion. :)

14. True that.

Except there are people on both the liberal and conservative side being naughty, so I find this quote relevant. I devote it to the political threads:

From "Batman Forever."

"AGGGGHHHHH!!!! WHY CAN'T YOU JUST DIE!!!!!!!!!?"

:cool:

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Welcome to the People's Republic of California. We will secede from the union next year, and our Prime Minister of the Proletariat, Gray Davis, will lead us to become the world's newest Communist Nation. Our economy is almost ready for it now.

OK, all you democrats, have at it!

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    forget that :meh:

it seems that folks lately can't follow the simple guidelines that jazzbo has set out in this thread. something more drastic needs to be done.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Why don't the mod's limit access to Off Topic to those who participate in accordance with the rules. Anyone who breaches gets a warning then gets banned from OT only?

Seems reasonably fair and allows those who want to parcitipate in off topic discussions the freedom to do so within the guidelines.

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

i like smash's idea a lot, but then again, i think i address this in my new thread. please email me what you think. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.