1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Endless Wires, The Who

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 8guy, Oct 31, 2006.

1. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Anyone got it yet? I did today and it came with a bonus DVD and Live CD at Best Buy.....I have some thoughts on it but want to see what others think before I post.....Ill just say its really good for the money and whats left of the original who still rock!!!!!!

2. i'm hopefully picking this up today at lunch! gotta get ready for the show next wednesday!

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Dumb enough to order it online...because of sales restrictions, it couldn't ship until yesterday. The estimated arrival date is next Tuesday.:crying:

4. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    well Ill try. Ive listened twice and Its amazing yet bland at times, Wonderful songs really But the first 10 songs have no Pino on Bass. If If I read right townsend plays it and hes just ok, and Zack only Plays on track 5 " Black willows Eyes"...Its scarey how he sounds like kieth on that one.

Zack does a great Keith and makes it his one, Pino does a killer John but is way turned down!!!!

To me its good but sounds like a Townsend album with Roger singing lead.

Watch The DVD see the power of Zack and Pino.

This album could have been different with the rythm section intact......IMHO

5. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Haven't bought it yet. Saw most of it performed at Jones Beach NY Sept. 13. Had it's moments.

6. "To me its good but sounds like a Townsend album with Roger singing lead."

not trying to be sarcastic but i can't imagine it sounding any different. since they are the last 2 orginals from the band, no one else is left to put any "distinctive who" sonic imprint on the songs. townshend writes them, daltrey sings them, and you have a backing band.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, Zack and Keith have a connection, Zack's dad Ringo and Keith were very close friends, Keith actually gave Zack the gift of his first drumset as a child.

8. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    I had heard that before, and on the live DVD that comes with it you can see he actualy hols his sticks like Moonie!!!! its very cool!!!!!

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I just sat down to watch the live DVD today. I had not seen video of the Pino powered Who until now. Poor Roger, he probably had a cold or something on the night of that show, because I can't believe his voice is that gone. After watching that "Who" I was so dissapointed I pulled out my "30 Years of Maximum R&B Live" LaserDisc set.

Wow.

Keith Moon was a genius.

The guy had fair technical ability and not great timing, particularly on his fills. But the pure musicality of his playing is just amazing. Amazing. And perfect for the ensemble, every time. The musicality and 'feel' of his playing, in service of the song, not the fair to poor technical aspects, reminds me more of jazz drums than typical rock playing.

And Kenny Jones, though he's generally not held in very high regard, was a great replacement. His playing on the 1979 footage, both in the rehearsal studio and live, is excellent. Though technically not as proficient, his playing has much better feel than Simon Phillips, who though a great drummer, was a poor choice for The Who.

The one thing the New Who has going for it is Zack. He seems to fit in really well.

It almost makes me wish they would have stayed together in the 80s instead of splitting up in '82. Almost. Then I listen to Pete's solo work from that period. Would I rather have a follow-up to "It's Hard" or "All the best cowboys have chinese eyes" and "White City: A Novel". The latter.

All Who fans, buy the "30 years" DVD. It's a great document of some fantastic stuff.

I don't know how I like the record. I also got a couple old Roger Waters albums I had never had before in my shipment and they seem to be sticking to my CD players like glue.

10. I'M SEEING THEM TONITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021