Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

endorsed by bass companies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whiteout, Jan 12, 2002.

1. I know that some of you are endorsed by a few different companies, such as conklin or warwick. how does that work? how did you get endorsed? and what are the benefits? just wondering, I think its pretty dandy.
    thanks,
    matt

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    depending on the visibility of your gig- you might get things at cost or just under, you might get a freebie or two ( i never did) - you get speedy attentionn if you need a repair, etc.. you get to see your pic and name on stuff!!
    companies ive worked with:
    MTD
    Modulus
    Lakland
    Gallien Krueger
    all great people....

3. wow, thats pretty fresh, how did you go about getting involved with them?

4. I'm not endorsed by Yamaha or Ibanez.. Yamaha and Ibanez are endorsed by Me :D

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well, heres the deal- i will not endorse or play anything i dont really use- really , though- im not on an ego trip at all- i just grasp the opportunity to move up in the ranks so to speak-
    Chayanne is an artist i toured with- he is HUGE in Latin America - he sells out 50-60,000 seaters ALL the time- i spoke to Jane at Modulus and she got me artist pricing on a Q6- think about it - thats the price they sell to a store- they gain a "name" and lose nothing- unless your Flea- i doubt he pays for basses
    MTD is just a love affair- ive been playin Mikes basses for 20 years- just to make it look good- i got on the players list when i landed KC and the Sunshine Band
    Dan Lakin is just a great guy- i went to his shop in Chi-town and we hit it off- i was on his list for a bit with KCSB- but im no longer there- now im a Lakland dealer ( as well as MTD) and playing in a production show in Las Vegas
    Gallien Krueger is the amp ive played forever- my good friend Doc Greene was working for them when i met him- i told him how much i loved the GK stuff and what a hard time i had with their 2000rb head- they accomodated me- my name is on the GK brochure!!! :D basically KC was a very hi profile gig- that worked very well for me- by the way, all the glory goes to my Lord GOD and my saviour Jesus Christ - i take very little credit for whatever succes ive had-
    PS- AllodoX - if i were Ibanez - i would have given you a couple already!! you are a strong believer- i see that!! thats very, very cool!!

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Adrian is right about how to go about it. Michael Brown @ Warwick offered me a deal for basses BELOW dealer cost. That was about 3 years ago. Dan Lakin is a great guy, and he makes a great product, that's why I endorse Laklands. Just like AG, I don't endorse anything that I wouldn't play. I've turned down 3 deals, 2 of which was offering FREE gear! :eek: Now, if only SWR would quit dicking around, although Aguilar did offer me a deal. :cool: BTW, Jane @ Modulus is a sweet person. She sent me a Genesis VJ.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    who was it who was talking about jauqo lusting after endorsements? ;)

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    So basically, you have to be in a high-profile band to get into an endorsement deal??

(just curious)

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well, something like that- or be a monster player doing solo stuff or have a really , really good relationship with teh company or builder- thats how it came to me- ( not the monster player part :p )

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I don't think a "luster" turns down free stuff.:rolleyes:

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, so you know jauqo that well too, huh? see, i've known him for over 4 years, pretty well, and these traits, well, they seem all new to me.

besides, isn't free stuff a good thing? i mean, i've turned down free stuff before - a few different string companies and 2 manufacturers - but that was just preference. i didn't realize that if i hadn't it would've been something bad. good to know.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    you truly need to know the facts of my relationship with the companies I deal with.I have payed my dues and will continue to do so.I have never lusted for an endorsement.I happen to be in a position to make the proper choices for my musical endeavors past,present and future.Its a nice feeling when you can have serious say so with the company(ies) you deal with you seem to make great fun of mocking me .find some one else to trip on. peace JAUQO III-X

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    What are you talking about? So you think me turning down free WASN'T preference?! Please enlighten me, what's the diff?

14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    May I be the first one to say I'm impressed with most anyone who's offered endorsements, regardless of from who or what is offered! To have the ability to choose from multiple different companies, without being in a multi-platinum band, is an accomplishment.

BTW, my initial comments about it in the Jauqo's bass thread were a mistake; I was mixing Jean Baudin and Jauqo together :)o), so it seemed like "they" endorsed more than they did. My apologies, truly!

Now, let's keep the fighting to a minimum, no?

15. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Did I miss something? What's the deal with this Jauqo guy? :confused:

16. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    (Reads other thread about Jauqo and comes back)

C#? :confused: :eek: Um, what? :eek:

(Read the following as Chris Farley in the movie Tommy Boy, doing the impression of the paramedic)

OH MY GOD....:D

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    To all my fellow Bass players.we all have different relationships with the companies we deal with.ask WARRIOR and SURINE why I have a signiture instrument by both companies.ask Dean Markley why they choose to make strings for me based off of my years of playing and my concepts pertaining to the state of bass and strings today.ask MARK GOODAY(ASHDOWN) why he chooses to make me a two channel amp,intwo wattage versions(we are working on a few pedals as well).ask TACOMA why they choose co-design an acoustic bass with/for me.ask LARRY HARTKE why he has no problem with me endorsing ASHDOWN,while still endorsing HARTKE.the moral of this story is TRUE RELATIONSHIPS,TALENT,KNOWLEDGE,A GOOD PERSONALITY AND TRUTH ARE THE KEYS TO TRUE ENDORSEMENTS.

p.s. IF one does not know,then silence and a open mind,heart,and soul can be their greatest teacher

JAUQO III-X

18. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Word to that!

JAUQO III-X,
    What are some songs of yours to check out, are there any with your new bass featured on it? I'm very interested to hear your playing. You seem like a very talented musician to be indorsed by all of these top notch manufacturers.