1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Endorsement. Which one?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by amroach, Oct 14, 2010.

1. The Major Company

57.1%
  2. The Minor Company

42.9%
  1. amroach

amroach

Feb 11, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    At the moment my bands manager has been in contact with a major string maker for endorsement and things are sounding good. (I'm not sure if, i'm aloud to say company names, so i wont. If some one else knows? that would be helpful)

Come yesterday we were contacted by a very small string maker and they've offer us an endorsement and there offering over 50% off their products.

By the sounds of it the major company probably won't give more then 10% off, but i don't know that for a fact yet, i how ever use their products and love them.

I have not tried the small companies products yet.

So given the choice would you go with? Major or Minor?

2. Iv@N

Iv@N

Jun 8, 2008
    M√ľnster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    I would buy a set of the minor company strings to test them 1st and then decide.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Whoever makes the better string.

4. Yup. And if you don't like them quite as much, ask yourself if the cost difference is worth it to you.

5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Bearing in mind that string endorsements are generally not exclusive, you could go for both.

Either company should send you a set (for free) to try if they think they want you as an endorser.

I'm surprised the bigger company is offering you a smaller discount than the smaller one. It's usually the other way around.

6. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Endorsements should be for products that you yourself believe in and would represent. Doing it for free stuff or higher discounts is the wrong way to look at it. I have had a few endorsements in my time and every one is for something that I would pay full price for. It's better to pay full price for a fantastic string than 50% off ones that suck in some way.

7. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Agreed. OP should really try a set of each if he has not already, before deciding.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You can get 50% off on strings at GC.

9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Well, at least you didn't post a scary pic of Amy Winehouse. :D

10. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Accept an endorsement from a manufacturer whose product you would recommend to another player - that is what the manufacturer expects from the arrangement.

11. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    This sounds right to me.

12. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    And whoever you have no problem standing behind their product (because essentially, that's what you'll be doing).

13. b-ron_50

b-ron_50

Sep 19, 2010
    Michigan
    I've always been partial to the smaller companies (as long as they are decent strings). I had a drum endorsement through a smaller drum company and I have a buddy with a drum endorsement with a different company. After my band broke up I ended up helping my buddy get an endorsement with a smaller cymbal company and he got a stick deal with another small company. All have been great deals, they are easy to get a hold of and get the things you need when you need them. Through my experience, and through the extension of my friend, smaller is better.

14. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Well, this is, after all, a business relationship with a company.

I agree that whatever I endorse should be

1) something that I'd buy anyway - because it's a quality product
    2) something I'd recommend to other players

In return for this representation, the company gives me

1) a discount of some sort on the product
    2) some sort of public association or promotion

If there is no 2) above, then Munji is right; I can buy them on sale at GC and not have to do anything to promote the product. The promotional value of an endorsement can be of real worth to a player. The form of both 2) above can also be advertising or promotional appearances.

15. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The one who sells the brand of strings you prefer. If diff band members use diff brand strings an endorsement deal can be very bad as the deal can require you to use only there strings. Id not do an endorsment with a string company unless I was absolutely sure they was only strings I was gonna use. Many pro musicians have been stung bad by endorsement deals from companies that sue them if they use some other brands stuff.

16. This.

17. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    What strings do you like better? If I were after guitar strings, I probably wouldn't be super picky, but bass strings are so variable. I sought a DR endorsement after trying almost every string out there. I still pay for them, which I don't mind, but I get great service and a decent discount and I get the strings I really love, so I never have an internal conflict about recommending them.

YMMV, etc.

18. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Whichever sounds better. Ernie Ball is a big company, but I hate their strings. I don't care if they give me a new set every day, an endless supply of garbage is still garbage.