Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by boofis, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Hey
    I was wondering, whether you guys have ever applied for an endorsement? How do you? How do you know when you're good enough? What does an endorsement mean you do/get?
  2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Wrong forum. Moved to Misc.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Now that this has been properly located...

There have been threads about this in the past. I suggest you do a search.

One thing that's been very clear from previous threads is that endorsements do not equal free gear.

Usually, an endorsement deal involves the providing of merchandise or services from a company to an artist in exchange for the use of the artist's likeness and special access to performances and the like. These contracts have a specific ending time. Artists are not not contractually allowed to use a competitor's products during the valid period of the contract.

Because companies want artists who can showcase their products to a wide public, they tend to go for acts that have either artistic credibility or a wide following. Warwick doesn't pair up P-nut and John B. Williams in its ads for nothing.

I play in a band that just got its first endorsement deal with a company that makes cases. Basically, we can get as many cases as we want at cost, which is pretty cool. I wasn't part of the talks that led to the deal, but I'm sure it involved showing the manufacturer a promotional package with a list of places where we played and clippings about our group in the press and stuff of the kind.

Like I said, others have posted on the subject. You'll find good stuff if you do a search.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think they come to you if they want you to endorse their product. If you have to ask......

5. HI
    Ok, I'm a bit new here so I'm still finding my way round. I'll do a search thanks!
  6. I was in a band that had an endorsement deal with a SHOE COMPANY!!! It was a cool deal the way it was explained to me. We got a free pair of shoes (anything out of the catalog) every quarter- 4 free pairs of shoes a year. There was no banner we had to put up on stage, didn't HAVE to wear the shoes if we didn't want to. Basically, it was just them giving us free shoes and we didn't have to do anything in return.

When this went down we were in the studio recording an EP, so I wrote a jingle for them (using words off the shoe box) and recorded it so it could be used as a commercial if need be. Our IDOT singer, instead of GIVING the jingle to them, tried SELLING it to them. Knob. Either that blew the deal, or they changed marketing strategies- never quite found out "the truth," you never do with those types of band members setting stuff up for you...
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I was with Warwick for about 5 years, and I got basses for a HUGE discount. We've gotten free stuff from Levi's, Puma, and Keapa. I endorse Benaventes now. Endorsements do not equal free stuff, but you should at least believe in the stuff you push. I've actually turned down free basses, because I knew that I wouldn't play them. We have a chance to work a deal with Ducati now(* kneels down* "oh please, oh please, oh please!").
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have a very good relationship with a bass company that gives me very very good discounts on strings and basses. nothing is free or even cheap though..