Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Endpin Extension

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Bassman5150, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Bassman5150

Bassman5150

Sep 9, 2001
    I just got a new bass, but the endpin is too short for me to play it standing up. (The pin doesn't come out of the bass). Is there anywhere where I can get an endpin extension so I wouldn't have to pay to get the whole assembly taken out.

2. Sounds like it's time for "Vise Grips" and some WD 40.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    SPACEMAN 2112,

What VENERABLEJIG said. But it does beg the question: is this really a new bass? If so and the endpin doesn't work, can't you get it repaired? If not, I'd seriously think about saving up for a good endpin. My first bass (for pics of this monstrosity and the endpin it flew in on, see the thread entitled "ASS's on Fire" in DB Off Topic) had an atrocious endpin that I lived with for quite some time. When I got my new bass, I went ahead and shelled out the beans for a high-end replacement endpin when I got the bass, and it has made a world of difference in many ways. To paraphrase (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur, "Life is too tall for a bad endpin".

4. Bassman5150

Bassman5150

Sep 9, 2001
    There's nothing wrong with the bass, it sounds great. And theres nothing wrong with the endpin (besides the fact its too short because I'm 6' 5")
    If you're not going to answer the question then don't respond...all wanted to know is if you could get an extension for an end pin (I'm assuming if one exists it would cost less than a new end pin and installation). If I wanted to know about your bass, I would ask. Sorry, if I sound like a jackass but I'm tired of getting replies that absolutly no help.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Rather than apologizing for sounding like a jackass, why don't you try not acting like one in the first place? :rolleyes: Both replies you got in this thread were attempts to help you out. The way you phrased your question, it sounded like you were saying that your endpin was stuck in your bass and wouldn't extend. Oldsaw suggested that you use a wrench and some WD to loosen it, and I suggested that you think about replacing it, which is still my first inclination. I'm 6' 2", and my endpin still has about 6" further that it could extend even when it is already in playing position.

If you were to measure the diameter of your existing endpin, it might be possible to order a long pin only from Lemur or some other such source.

As to the rest of your little rant, all I can say is that if you're trying to get yourself flamed, you're getting a hell of a jump start on getting your wish granted. You've only posted here a couple of times, and nobody knows jack squat about you....given this, if you ask a question and then complain about the manner in which it was answered - especially the part about, "If I wanted to know about your bass, I would ask", which was as obnoxious as hell - you're not going to get anything but grief around here. On the other hand, if you ask a specific question and people try to answer it and you still need more info after that, you should ask a more specific question at that point rather than complain. But again, that's assuming you're really looking for help or advice rather than a flame war...

In the future, please phrase your questions in a clearer manner if you want more specific answers than you feel you got here. And fill in your profile while you're at it, okay?

Chris

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I recently got a composite endpin rod for a guy who bought one of my Bulgarian basses- he's 6'6" and the 12" endpin wasn't long enough, either.

I've never seen an extension, but I can get a replacement 20" carbon fiber rod in 8 or 10mm sizes. It has a sharp metal tip and comes with a rubber cap. It was quite an interesting pin- it weighs very little.

Contact me off list if you are interested.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Calmer heads prevail. Thanks, Bob.

The old pin will still have to come out, right? Is this a hacksaw job?

8. Mmm WD-40

9. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've seen endpin rods with a pin inserted through the rod both at the top (so it won't fall out) and the bottom (so it won't fall in), and one with both.

In any case you can grind or cut off the pin ends on the outside of the endpin socket and then push it through into the bass. Then gently roll the bass to get the pin to an f-hole where you can grab and remove it.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Once you have the original pin out, you can take it to a machine shop and have them make you one. It wouldn't cost much, particularly if you show up with a bottle of something.