Endpin Installation

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by jamesdotcom, Dec 4, 2002.

1. How easy/hard is it to install a new endpin (this includes removing the current endpin)?

Is it as simple as pulling the old one out and sticking the new one in, or is there glue involved?

The reason I ask is because Kolstein's is offering a pretty nifty looking endpin for sale on Ebay, and I definitely need a new (read: working) endpin.

Any thoughts/experiences would be gladly appreciated.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Depends on the diameter of you new endpin vs the old one. No glue involved when my luthier upgraded my endpin, but the new one was larger in diameter so the hole had to be reamed larger ( you need the special endpin reamer for this, BTW).
  3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Unless the new endpin collar (the ebony housing that the endpin fits into) happens to fit your bass's current endpin hole, exactly, you will need a special reamer. Or, maybe the hole is bigger than the new collar. You would then need to shim the hole (cheap version) or bush and reream (expensive version) a new hole.
    No glue is used, and it is not a complicated procedure; it's a tapered, friction fit. BUT, the fit needs to be tight, and without this special reamer (@110 bucks) you are Up Sh*t Creek. Any shop that does pro setup work will have this tool; the job prolly won't be more than $30.
  4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    If you are lucky enough to have the new endpin collar larger than the hole, and you're up sh** creek sans paddle, then you can do what I did:

First, take the old and new endpin and wrap sandpaper around their collars (I used 60 grit). Then alternate between them as you ream away until the new hole accomodates the new endpin collar.

It took me 8 hours of twisting to do this, but I was hardheaded and wanted to do it myself as inexpensively as possible. Plus, I had the excitement of a real bass to play to keep me charged up. My new endpin fit nice and snug.

Though I now take my bass to a luthier for work, as I have learned much about real basses, you can try this idea as you see fit.
  5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Johnny L has just been awarded the Doublebass Luthier's Trick Of The Day.
    Damn! 8 hours? You must have the patience of Job. That would be like rough-arching a bass top with a 10mm fingerplane. Wow....
  6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Thanks, but if I was a real luthier that imaginary reamer would have been paid for 10 times over already.

Patience...I just wish my musical development only took so long (heh). Thank goodness for luthiers!
  7. ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Why wouldn't you just simply sand down the diameter of the collar?

Also, I've got the exact opposite problem. The collar is just not quite large enough. Are there any "at home" methods for shimming to cover me until I get it into a luthier for it's regularly scheduled checkup?
  8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Well, I did consider shrinking the new collar somehow...but it was just simpler to go the other direction. With only the simple tools at my disposal - sandpaper and 2 hands - increasing the size of the endpin block's hole was my best bet.

Plus, I when I took out my original endpin I noticed that the fit was tapered. My new endpin collar was also tapered, so I kept it all consistent. Shrinking the new collar with only sandpaper wasn't going to guarantee a taper without gaps for me, and I felt better having no gaps between the new endpin collar and the endpin block. Full body contact was my goal in the endpin-block-hole-reaming process. I'm no luthier, and I don't have an army of shop tools at my disposal.

If I had your problem, I'd increase the collar's diameter by doing my best masking tape wrap around the collar until I got a snug fit. My first teacher did that at home to his old killer bass until he took it to a luthier right before his next performance.
  9. Does the masking tape deal have any kind of negative impact on ... uhh... anything? I just "installed" my endpin with a similar ghetto-rig (using a paper towl). It fits pretty snug, but what do I know?