1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Endpin Mic Inside?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by davio, Mar 26, 2009.

1. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I've had this bass for many years now and I've always known it has this ancient mic mounted to the top of a very long, thick endpin with an old harmonica-style amphenol screw-on jack near the bottomÂ…but I never used it. I recently bought an adapter (one of these bad boys) to try it out but I was disappointed for a couple reasons.

1) PITA to attach and leaving it on is a bit awkward and dangerous during transport as I'm worried about it getting caught on something.

2) I had to crank the gain and volume almost all the way up on my amp up to get any useable volume (~200W...should be more than enough for what I'm doing...it is using bass guitar anyway).

My questions are these:

A) Does anybody have experience with this kind of setup and if so do you have any suggestions as far as getting a normal volume level?

B) Would it be practical to try and replace the mic with something newer?

C) Is there a practical alternative/replacement to the harmonica-style jack so I don't need the adapter?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Probably (B). Maybe one of the original Am-pegs? Can you post some pics? I'm curious about this bad boy.

3. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I'll see if I can get any useable pics tomorrow.

I found this thread the other day too and I think I'm missing whatever that is under the bridge. I might have to come up with some kind of buffer to put inline. The Fulltone Bass Drive pedal I use with bass guitar has a clean boost setting...maybe I can use that for the time being.

4. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    So here we go...

Start off with a shot of the full instrument:

URB008.

Then the endpin with that ANNOYING adapter:

URB007.

A shot showing how effing LONG the endpin is:

URB004.

The goods (there's a tiny sticker to the left of the mic that you can just make out that has "30G(or C or 6...it's not very clear)6671" hand-written on it...I couldn't get a focused shot):

URB002.

Before you ask, it reads:
    American Standard
    Made By
    The H. N. White Co.
    CLEVELAND, OHIO
    No. 1191

URB020.

One side:

URB026.

The other side with the wire I can only assume was once connected to the box in a pic in the thread I referenced earlier:

URB024.

So...any suggestions?

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd gut that stuff put on a proper endpin and use a modern pickup.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Probably. But outstanding effort posting all those pics. Wow. Not sure what it is. Maybe someone else can positively ID it.

7. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Yeah but what do you know? You're from Columbus...this bass is from Cleveland. :smug: :rolleyes:

I was really hoping for a solution that could preserve the vintage vibe...and not cost another chunk of change. The pickup I used to use is shot and I hoped I'd be able to dodge the bullet with a ~$10 adapter rather than a new pickup.

*sigh*

Maybe I can ID it and find somebody who wants to buy it to fund the endpin swap... :rollno:

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You could wire your own cable, but it may not be any more convenient.
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/101-063&CAWELAID=221133600
    Or you could solder on a chord to run out through the f-hole.

Looks like a small dynamic mic, with low ohms, so it probably just needs a pre-amp.
    Most pre's for DB are going to be expecting very high ohms, but I bet a regular mic pre would do it.

I'm surprised the rubber foam in the mounting has disintegrated through the years. It looks to be still very usable. It actually looks like a cool idea to me. With a new mic I get something like this would sound great.

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I have discovered that life with a Double Bass is a long slow cash sucking vortex. Every time I turn around I'm spending $200. Or $2000. Or $20,000....

10. LyleRyan

LyleRyan Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    I've posted some information on my Amp-Peg in the other thread that Davio points to: here (a thread which I'd think the moderator should really move over to this forum).

I can answer questions about it since this one came to me fully-functional installed on a 1946 Kay that I believe was a one-owner bass.

To me, there's no way it compares with a Full Circle or Realist, but then we're talking 60 year-old technology. Steve Swan suggested the microphones (one on the top of the peg, and the other under the volume control underneath the bridge) are from a telephone mouthpiece, and that sounds right. It's really a nostalgia item, though usable in that context.

I've removed it, and intend to post it over on rockabillybass.com, in hopes that someone there will flip. :hyper:

...Lyle

11. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Hey thanks, Lyle!

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new pickup. This whole episode was me trying to avoid buying a new one after my Fishman crapped out. I'm still debating whether a new endpin is necessary or even desirable right now. It'll stay for now, at least.