1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Endpin Plug

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by pdbass, Oct 26, 2017.

1. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I'm really enjoying my current upgrade to a wooden endpin--walnut, courtesy of Ben Bastin (Wooden Endpins | Ben Bastin |) it really makes a difference! My question is about a "plug" when I'm not using it. The endpin is a fixed length and easily installed and removed. However, when I'm not using it I have to reinsert the original stainless steel endpin, just to carry it around. Needless to say, it's taking up a little room in my bag. I've heard that Ron Carter uses a kind of "plug" that goes into his endpin hole when the bass isn't being used. Does anyone know of a 10mm plug, maybe with a rubber tip, that would work for me? What do other wooden endpin users do when the pin is not in use? Wondering if there are any alternatives to carrying around the old rod.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. I'm probably advertising my ignorance here (again), but exactly why do you need to plug the hole when you're not using the bass?

3. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    So, with "normal" endpins, they collapse and extend, right? Tall people can pull a regular endpin out 10 inches or whatever to get the bass as high as they need to. When you're done playing, you loosen a thumbscrew and push the endpin back up into the bass, right? More room to carry the bass, put it in your car, etc. Most stainless steel endpins collapse.

A wooden endpin is of fixed length (usually--anyway, mine is):
    View attachment 2795261
    I can't push this back up into the bass. I have to pop it into my existing endpin hole and then take it out again when I'm done. I wouldn't want to carry my bass around with this sticking out of the bottom. It's very impractical. For now, I'm putting the original endpin back into it's place when I'm done playing and for carting the bass around. I'm looking for something that is possibly rubber, a few inches long, and can be inserted into the endpin socket when I'm not using my wooden endpin so that I don't have to carry around a 15-inch metal rod with me. It's also dangerous to support the instrument on the metal endpin housing alone. I need something down there that can take some shock and support the bass without worrying if it's going to crack when I set it down.

I'm considering some custom rubber molding to make a piece that would fit a 10mm socket about 3 inches and have a "crutch-like" tip. Any Laborie users out there have any insights? What do you do with that old endpin socket?

4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Back to the previous comment. What's wrong with just leaving it out during transport? It would be easy enough to get a small length of 10mm rod or tube though, and I think some tips for nordic walking poles are 10mm.

5. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    The mojo might leak out?

james condino likes this.
  6. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    This:
    IMG_4871.JPG
    is not very practical when you're gigging 6x/week. Dirt, concrete, grass, whatever. Not using some kind of plug/foot seems unwise and dangerous.

7. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Quite right. Some sort of plug is needed. I use a 10mm dia coach bolt. Does that term make sense to you guys? Over here it’s a steel bolt, threaded at on end with domed head at the other. I can do a photo if required.

Don Kasper, Fretless55 and pdbass like this.
  8. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    Put your standard endpin w/ rubber tip back into the slot for transport, or grab an endpin wheel for easy rollin'

9. Always a fan of the simple solution!

10. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

This would work, as well - 3/8" x 5" Socket Cap Screw, with a non-threaded section. See below. (Or, shorter, if you prefer.)
    IMG_3461.JPG

11. Thanks for the response. I'm very close to drilling a new hole to install an angled endpin in my bass, and hadn't considered plugging the other hole until this conversation.

Brainstorm idea: If you want a rubber foot, you can always cut the metal pin off short and use the old rubber foot...

pdbass likes this.
  12. pdbass

pdbass

Jan 2, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I've actually considered doing that! Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. I combed Amazon and bought an inexpensive 4-inch, 10mm carbon fiber rod ($8), along with a few cane tips ($5). I should be able to put together a hand-sized, extremely light plug that can work in a pinch at stool length. Still wondering about those rubber moldings, tho...

13. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I like the idea of cutting down a standard end pin - seems like the most stable option for transport. I wonder if any of the local luthiers have a box of those things sitting around?

14. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    Sorry. Not sure your question was fully answered.

It's to protect the bass. The endpin assembly is plugged directly into the bottom block of the bass, a major structural point which in turn can transmit shocks to top, back and ribs. Any time you stand up a bass on a hard surface without the capped end pin in, you can feel the shock, even when you're trying to be gentle. Can't be that good for the endpin assembly either. It's best to have some kind of cushioning present. Even those of us who prefer to have a sharpened steel tip for wooden stages will still screw on a rubber end cap for transport (and also when you lay it down on it's side during intermission to prevent impaling your colleagues as they walk by on a crowded stage).

I swapped the 5/8ths inch hollow tube endpin on my smaller bass for a crutch tipped drumstick, but I couldn't really tell any difference in sound or play.

My larger bass has a solid 10mm endpin. But either I'm shrinking or the bass is growing. I only extend it one click when playing without the end cap and no extension at all when playing with it on. Not sure it warrants the experiment of going to wood. Had considered shortening the endpin length inside the bass to reduce mass but hate to meddle with something that might mess things up for the next (un-shrunk) person who owns it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Who da Ville likes this.
  15. Lazurus

Lazurus

Nov 17, 2016
    Norfolk, UK
    How about contacting a local wood turner and have a custom plug, rod or whatever made, I am sure local club members would "turn" one out for a very reasonable amount and made to your specs?

16. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    This issue of bottom block fragility has also come up with wheel discussions. I don't discourage anyone from keeping a dummy plug in their socket during transport, but I think that the risk posed by setting the bass down on a bald socket is exaggerated.

17. Mrlen613

Mrlen613 Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Clinton,NJ
    You might try buying a wooden dowel, cutting it down to size, and then put a rubber tip on it. That might be the easiest way to customize it to your needs.

18. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I use a rubber leg tip of the appropriate diameter and cut a slot for the setscrew.

John Chambliss and pdbass like this.

19. So, I got the angled endpin installed, and love it. You're right, I still want a rubber ball in the old hole, so I can take out the fixed-length angled pin and lean my bass against the corner wall.

I found a 1/2" wooden dowel in my shop and cut it off short. Then I screwed on the old rubber ball.

DSC_0079.JPG DSC_0080.JPG

20. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    That's what I did when I used a wood peg. I just sharpened a short piece of dowel to a gradual point, slipped on a crutch tip and jammed it into the hole and hit it with the heel of my hand. It stays there by friction. The hardest part was not losing it when playing a gig.

Mrlen613 likes this.