1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Endpin rest or stop - foolproof

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Jack Clark, Apr 16, 2010.

1. I've seen bassists, particularly those sitting down, struggle with their basses walking away from them. Some use commercial endpin rests, some use pieces of carpet, but they seem to struggle with this.

I solved it for me with a small, stainless steel cappuccino cup, which has very low sides compared to a regular coffee mug. I sewed some 1/2-inch webbing around the cup handle, and the rest of the webbing loops around a ring installed on a rung in a particular folding chair that is dedicated for playing my strange bass. (You could also just loop the webbing around a stool leg, if that works for you.) With my endpin seated in that cappuccino cup, it's not going anywhere. Totally secure. There's no reason that a double bassist couldn't do he same thing. Just an idea.

2. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
  3. Yeah, exactly. The commercial version wouldn't have worked for my wide, blunt endpin, but setting it into a cup with low sides is completely secure. The handle on the cup is ready-made for attaching the strap. I tried a metal coffee cup, but the angle was such that the endpin leaned against the sides, which were too tall, and it tilted the cup. A cappuccino or espresso cup with low sides works fine.

4. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    Makes sense. Do you have any pictures of this setup yet? I'd love to see it.

Brent

5. A couple of other guys asked, too, and I'm way over due in putting some up. I just finished a nearly two-year-long project in transforming this thing into something to play blues and jazz on--even to amplifying it. I'll try to take some pix tomorrow, and maybe make a sound clip, too. Nothin' fancy. Just so people can hear what kind of sound it makes.