Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Engelhardt Customer Service

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by buro2k4, Jul 18, 2004.

1. :help:I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Engelhardt's customer service. As a resident of Southern Ontario, Canada, I have had the hardest time finding an Engelhardt dealer within a two hour drive of myself. So I emailed Engelhardt asking for a list of dealers in Canada and Northern Michigan, and have yet to hear from them. It has been about two weeks, and I am wondering if its a waste of time to deal with Engelhardt and if I should just find another brand. I emailed again today so hopefully get a response back soon. Anyways I was wondering if anyone hear can assure me to stick with Engelhardt, or if there is another brand that has a good product and good customer service that I can explore. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    thanks
    mike

2. I've heard that they're usually quite responsive to email queries, but I, too, sent them an email about two weeks ago, looking for replacement tuners and asking, based on the serial number, how old my C-1 is. No response...

Maybe the guy who answers their email is on vacation?

Cheers, Tim

3. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    It is summer time and I know Bach (the brass instrument makers) take a two week break in summer or winter so maybe you just caught Engelhardt at the same break.

4. Chances are, the guy who answers their e-mail is also the guy who does about ten other things for the company.

I work for a musical instrument manufacturer, and I was around when e-mail was first introduced. We saw dealer-location and serial-number dating requests from end consumers go from a couple each week via phone or letter to dozens every day via e-mail. Very tough to keep up with these requests and conduct the daily business of making and selling the horns and keeping our dealers happy (most makers do not sell directly to consumers).

The worst part is, we suspect that many serial-number requests stem from people checking out used instruments being sold on EBay, and if answering them results in a sale, that’s taking business directly away from us.

My advice is to drop the dime and give them a call or even send a letter with a SASE. I have a hunch that they’ll be much more likely to respond -- it’s too tempting to put answering e-mails on the "back burner."

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Engelhardt will probably not be able to help you with that. Other than a handful of large dealers, most of the company sales are made to large distributors who then ship basses to the smaller stores. To my knowledge there is not a lot going on in Canada when it comes to Engelhardt- I've shipped quite a few to Canadian bassists.

There is only one guy at Engelhardt who handles emails, and he may be out, as was suggested in other messages, or he may have referred your query to a wholesaler who distributes to Canadian dealers. Also, he gets buried in emails often- he's a good guy and is typically very responsive.

6. Bob, thanks for the insight. It seems you know the inner working of Engelhardt well, maybe you can help me with more than just my original question.

Firstly I've been dying to play the double bass for the past year. I've played electric for 5 years, and piano for seven. I'm really in desparate need of opinions on what bass I should get to start learning on. I was thinking about the Engelhardt Maestro (EM-1), however where I ask in the great white north, I get a crapy, un-informed answser. I am hoping my first bass is great for beginners, however will last quite a while (I mean I don't just want a beginner bass, I want something i can be gigging with in 5-10 years from now).

Then, if its no trouble, maybe you could just point me in the right direction for my first purchase. I was thinking of ordering the Engelhardt off the internet from music123.com, however if you can see a reason i shouldn't, or a better alternative, that would be great

thanks.

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    To spare Bob G of any self promotion :), he sells Englehardts from his site: www.urbbob.com

Dude, make sure you read the newbie links too. They are very very very helpful.

8. I know that he also sells Engelhardts, however my question wasn't just about where i can order them off the net. I was hoping he would be able to tell me about the EM-1 model, seeing as how I have never been able to play one here in Canada. I have also been through the newbie links, and no where in there does it ever mention specific models of basses.
    So Bob, any insight would be great.

9. rscconrad

rscconrad

Apr 26, 2004
    I have had no problem with Engelhardt answering emails.

Try this guy Cal Reeves (concert@engelhardtlink.com).

If you need to call thier number is 847 659-8200

Good Luck

Robert

10. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I think you're gonna have a problem if you want to try the basses out before you buy 'em. Come to think of it, I asked the same exact question of Cal Reeves back when I was shopping for my first one. His response was that Englehardt doesn't have dealers and their business is all about shipping basses to people across the country, or something like that.

Your best bet is finding someone locally who already has one so you can try it out, otherwise you'll have to buy it blind, but from what people say from this site, it's probably OK to buy blind. Maybe Bob could help you out more than Music123 can.

11. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    I'd advise against Music123. Not to badmouth, but I've heard waaaayyy too many horror stories about buying basses from those guys. They don't really know the instrument, and it seems that getting customer service out of them is like pulling teeth. Therein lies the catch with a lot of the big warehouse music retailers; you probably won't find a better *initial* price, but you will also not receive a setup, personalized attention or much thought once you've clicked "submit" on the order form.

Buying sight unseen is not automatically a bad thing. Your best bet is dealing with folks like Bob G., who has built his reputation on making his clients happy and who knows the instrument.

Good luck :)

PS: If you want info on EM-1s from Bob, save the entire list the drama and just shoot him an email. He always replies promptly.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Or call him. He (or his son, Mark) are always there to answer any questions that you might have. I've chatted quite a bit with Bob over the last few months...I also have five or six of those "BASS" stickers that he includes with every order stuck on the back of my truck ;).

13. So buying a double without previously playing it isn't a bad thing? I've bought without trying before, such as my Ampeg stack (which i love), so I have no problem with it. But I knew, from research, that Ampeg was one killer amp. Is that the same with Engelhardt? Anyone?

I'm a pretty big guy (6'5"), with good sized hands, so i'm not worried about a bass having too thick, or thin a neck. Either or I think i'll be able to handle it. And I know i'm going 3/4 (that's just common sense), so is there anything else i need to know about a bass before I buy it, or can I go site-unseen?

14. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    IMO, an Englehardt is ok to buy blind. Mainly that it seems there is a track record of players happy with their Engle's from doing the same thing and that it's probably the least expensive of dependable basses, especially if you don't have an extra grand to look at the next level of basses. Not to mention that All Hail Bob's been selling them a long time and people have been happy with his services. I would think that it's either going to be your starter instrument or it's something that you're fine with and will stick to because you don't need more.

But I no longer buy instruments as a way to stepping up to a better instrument as my skills progress. In the end I always seemed to waste more and end up more unused equipment. I just buy as best as I can afford. If you were to spend more, shopping I think becomes easier and you can start playing them in person... they're much more available in the $1800-3000 range to play at a luthier shop or something.

15. Buro2k4:

Forget about finding any dealers here in Canada.
    Even if you did find one, chances are it will sound awful until it has been set up properly with decent strings, a new bridge, fingerboard planed and probably a good quality soundpost that has been set properly.

Why not call Al Link at Englehardt? He owns the place. Quite a character. Ask him if he knows where you could find the model you want. Heck...drive over to the plant in Chicago and see for yourself.

If not talk to Bob Gollihur. Great guy to deal with.
    If you want to keep your hard-earned bucks here in Canada call Peter Dawson at his shop in Ottawa or send him an e mail: peter.dawson@bellnet.ca
    Peter usually has a couple of decent plywood basses for sale.

Buying any kind of a bass here in Canada requires a lot of enterprise and work. Good luck.

Martin Chapman
    Peterborough, Ontario.

16. I'd note that I just got a nice email from Cal Reeves of Engelhardt, explaining that they didn't get my email (he looked), but he'd be glad to answer my question. Thanks, Cal!

Tim

17. After creating this thread, I also got an email from Cal . . . which totally changed my opinion of Engelhardt's customer service. :D

Anyways, maybe its just because I'm a newbie and I have no spin . . . but the apparent hill I am going to have to climb in order to find a double bass in Canada has completely discouraged me. Hopefully someone can help change that and point me in a good direction (ie new brand, specific model, dealer? anything)

18. buro2k4 wrote
    "the apparent hill I am going to have to climb in order to find a double bass in Canada has completely discouraged me. Hopefully someone can help change that and point me in a good direction (ie new brand, specific model, dealer? anything)
    "

Well....there are a couple of ways to go about this.
    If you want a new bass check out George Heinl's in Toronto.They can get you a European plywood at a reasonable price. They are not cheap if you want work done but they sure know what they are doing. Real experts.
    Bob King's music store in Wingham can get you a new Strunal bass. I have never dealt with them but a friend bought a Strunal from him and was happy with the service.

If you want a used bass, check out the classifieds in the Toronto Star regularly. Check out the music stores regularly in Toronto, Hamilton and wherever you live. Check out the Valley Grass website in Ottawa to see if there are any for sale. They have a newsletter too and I am sure they will be glad to mention that you are looking for a bass.
    I mentioned Peter Dawson in my previous post. He also carries the new Christopher basses which get good reviews. Also check out Henry Riedstra in Stratford. He carries used plywood and solid wood basses and has a website.
    All of these folks will be glad to offer other suggestions for finding a bass if they don't have what you want.
    Finding a good used instrument may take a few weeks but new ones are always available if you know what you want.

Hope this helps.

Martin Chapman.

19. Once again, you'll probably get more help more quickly if you fill out your profile, at least the location part.

Basses can be found in Canada. If shopping in Toronto works for you, try The Sound Post on Grenville Street. They are a violin family shop and sometimes have basses. They also have a website, and have competent repair people that do decent work at reasonable prices. You'll find Heinl's harder to deal with, they cater to symphony/ jazz pro's, have no weekend or evening hours, and their prices are high.

Also, Long and McQuade will sometimes sell a bass from their rental fleet.

If you're not able to find something local wherever you are and can't travel far, an Englehardt from Bob Gollihur would likely be your best bet. You'd look far and wide to find someone who's had a bad experience dealing with Bob, and the Englehardts are better than the Chinese junk you see on ebay.

20. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Sorry. I differewith your opinion on Chinese "junk." Set up right, they'll outplay and Engle five ways to Sunday.Ever had one? And they are cheaper.