Engelhardt EC1

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sonic bass, Sep 27, 2004.

1. sonic bass

sonic bass

Jul 12, 2004
  2. Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
  3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would keep saving so that you can afford a bass with Ebony FB and remember you are going to need a few hundred dollars more to get it set-up if you are going to be getting it out of the box.

Better to save a little longer and get a better instrument that you will enjoy playing.

as Gufenov said, if you can double your money you have a much better selection.

Good Luck,

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I started on an Engelhardt. (ES9) I was mostly happy with the pizz sound that was able to get out of it. I was also very happy with the overall quality of the bass for the $$.

Over about six months time, I ultimately spent about $250-300 to get the bass "right," as it arrived at my home on a truck in the same state it left the Engelhardt factory. I suspect it was drop-shipped, although I think I have read here that Engelhardt doesn't do such things.

Work including fb planing, bridge work, strings and endpin. I played it pretty hard for a year and it was just beginning to open up and sound decent.

After a year my interests had developed enough that I wanted to pursue studies in classical music and arco playing. I found myself left wanting with the Engelhardt. The bass, when bowed, offered a sound not at all rich and very much lifeless.

I switched to a Shen hydrid (SB180) and I have been very happy with the choice.

I still run accross plenty of Engelhardt of all models at various gatherings. Tonally, they are all very similar. The set up and extent to which they have been "played in" impact the tone much more so than the model #, IMO. They are perfectly functional basses.

So, to make a short story long, I'll end with saying, there is nothing wrong with an Engelhardt if you plan playing pizz only stuff with little or no aspirations for expanding your horizons.

If you are thinking of terms of a buying a "learn on" bass with hopes of upgrading down the road, I'd consider going with something else, for this reason:

The Kay-Engelhardt design is pretty unique. When I moved to a more conventionally-designed bass, I really struggled. It took a great deal of effort to acclimate to the larger and steeper neck, as the tiny neck allowed for plenty of holes in the technique.

There are plenty of other basses out there in the same price range (Strunal, Christopher, Shen come to mind but there are plenty of other house brands) that make for a more conventional learning experience. Any of these will offer a basic geometry similar to the nicest contemporary carved instruments.

It's worth mentioning, IMO.
  5. jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    S. Bass,

If you are absolutely set on an Engelhardt, save up a little bit more and at least get an EM-1, which is a step up from the EC-1. I believe that they can be had for only a bit more than the EC-1. That being said, you can get the best of the Engelhardt line (the ES-1 or ES-9) for just a bit more than the EM-1.

I have an EM-1, and even with only modest aspirations as a bassist, I am already longing for a better bass. Good to start on, yes, but easy to grow out of. So the best advice I can give, as an Engel owner, is to heed the advice of those who are more experienced than myself who will stress waiting until you have the money to buy a solid bass that you can grow into. When you finally have the money to get a bass of any kind, it's hard to resist the temptation to go ahead and get something. I am experienced in being chronically impatient.

Finally, in addition to talking to a local luthier/teacher, I will also endorse Bob Gollihur as a resource, particularly if you choose to buy an Engelhardt.
  6. I have to amen to this. I love my ES-9--with a setup it is very playable, and it has a loud booming tone that works well for bluegrass. But it just does not have the sound I hear in my head. I am currently in the 4th month of a search for a better instrument but I am patient. If it takes me two or three years to find what I am listening for (and can afford), I have a good bass to play. I suspect that if you become a serious student of the bass, you will be looking to upgrade within a couple of years.