Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Engelhardt EM-1

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rtharris, Oct 28, 2002.

1. rtharris

rtharris

Oct 22, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hello Everyone,
    I just received an Engelhartdt EM-1 from a company that uses E-bay to regularly sell their instruments. The EM-1 is, as everybody else has noted previously, hard to play. The problem is with the endpin. I followed the directions that were provided on the Englehardt Swingmaster thread, which was to remove material from above the o-ring groove. I removed about .020 of material, and the endpin still resonates internally causing a horrible noise. When I torgue down on the cheap wing nut on the endpin, it seems to alleviate the problem for a while. My question is, will a new endpin, along with a proper set-up take care of the problem?
    thanks-RT

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    1)Replace that endpin ASAP. They always rattle; I don't know why Engelhardt thinks they work. 2)Have a flexible tailwire installed. 3)Also, toss the factory bridge and have a better one fit. 4)Sometimes the boards need planing, too. All this work is typical of Engelhardt basses.

3. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    What Nick said. I had the endpin/tailpiece wire/bridge done with noticeable inprovements. Haven't had the fingerboard done yet.

4. rtharris

rtharris

Oct 22, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks, That takes a load off my mind that it can be fixed. I have a terrific luthier that I've used for my orchestral bass, Lisa at LA Bass Works. She should sort it out. The Engelhardt sounds pretty much as I expected, loud, and sort of like my old Kay-tone wise. After a good set up, how did you like your Englehardt, and which model did you have? One of the reasons I purchased the Engelhardt was the favorable reviews in the bass forum. I can see where this could be a good Bluegrass, Jazz, or Blues bass. I wouldn't hazzard using it for orchestral work. Another question: What strings? I was thinking Helicore Pizz. Has anyone tried Helicore Pizz with the EM-1?

5. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I have an EM-1 and am very happy with it in the context of bluegrass and folk. Of the few strings I have tried (Corelli, Thomastik Spirocore Weich and Medium), I get the best sound and volume from the Spirocore mediums.

6. rtharris

rtharris

Oct 22, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Glad to hear you enjoy the EM-1. Took a look at a string web site and there are two types of Thomastik spirocore mediums. There is the orchestral and the solo. Do you recall which of the two you use? I would like to give these a try. I used to use weich on my orchestral bass. Didn't think much one way or the other about them, but am a lot more discerning now.

7. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Solo is for solo tuing, which is up a whole step for tuning F#-B-E-A. Some jazzers use solo Spirocores tuned to orchestra pitch, but they are pretty slack and while easy on the fingers, don't provide much volume.

Monte

8. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I have the Spiro orchestra mediums. As you may have already read from previous threads, the higher tension allows you to have relatively lower action compared to a softer string while still producing more volume.

9. rtharris, I had a EM-1 a few years back. I never had any problems with the endpin,,It's was just like the Kay endpin in my 47 C-1, but hey a nice good ebony plug/endpin couldn't hurt. I mostly use Helicore Pizz on my Kay. The EM-1 came with La Bella's, I changed them out to the Helicore Pizz. What a vast improvement, it sounded like a totally different bass.
    Good luck with your EM-1

Fetch!

10. rtharris

rtharris

Oct 22, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I finally took the EM-1 to my luthier, Lisa of LA Bass Works for the prerequisite set up. What a difference! She carved a new bridge and installed a different endpin, along with the aircraft cable to hold the endpiece.
    It is so nice to hear that "growl" we all know and love instead of the rattle from the endpin. Also, the new strings play like silk. My wife even commented on how good I sound on it.
    I played a rockabilly gig on Saturday night. On the first number of the second set, I neglected to insert the plug into the outlet jack of my underwood pickup. I noticed it, but the bass is so loud that it carried the song, even with the drummer and guitar. Cool.
    This bass, set up as it is, will accomodate all the styles I play- Bluegrass, Jazz, Blues, except classical . I will not play arco on it-that is what my carved top is for. I now won't have to take the carved top to play in dubious settings-you guys know those dates.