1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Engelhardt EM1-B as a slap bass

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by ERIC A, Feb 2, 2014.

1. I just purchased a used Engelhardt EM1-B as a slap bass (plain gut d and g, wound e and a) . I tried it on a gig last night using a gage realist pick-up and it was a disaster (no definition at all. Big thud). My other bass is a Shen plywood strung with velvet blues and it sounds great. The Engelhardt EM1-B sounds find acoustically, but plugged in it was rough. Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    It's the Realist. Pure thud on a ply top especially with dark strings like gut.

You'll probably do much better with an Underwood or a Rev Solo, maybe a Bass Max if you like lots of low-mids that will sound like a P-Bass.

3. I've got the same bass and I use the bass max set up. It's a great mix. Currently using weed whackers.... It's getting the job done.

4. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    The Engelhardt is the bass of choice for Nicolas Dubouchet and he gets a fantastic slap tone. Makes me want to trade my Kay for an Engelhardt with Cordes Lambert strings (just kidding)