Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Engelhardt EM1

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by rscconrad, May 11, 2004.

1. rscconrad

rscconrad

Apr 26, 2004
    I live right buy the Engelhardt factory and I am picking up an EM 1 on Friday.

Who wants to give out some recomenadtions for Bridges, Strings, ect to soup it up.

Bluegrass is my goal, I mainly play a Banjo but it is time to have some fun on Bass.

2. Locate a luthier and have it professionally set up. It will be the SECOND BEST money you could ever spend on the bass.

The BEST money you can spend is to find a teacher and take a few lessons.

Beware, however. The big fiddle is one of the most addictive substances known to man.

3. rscconrad

rscconrad

Apr 26, 2004
    Thanks Steve,

I plann on doing both, but if I need to or should change out some components the time to do it is before I go get it set up.

Seems like the most obvious is to change to airplane type wire instead of the coat hanger type.

Anyhitng else obvious?

4. The things you mention changing (bridge, good strings, etc.) are part of the setup.

5. rscconrad

rscconrad

Apr 26, 2004
    No Kidding, I din't know that about a db setup. Explains why it is so expensive to do I guess.

Seems like a strange way of going abut it however. I guess whoever you take it to gets to pick what to put on it for you then.

6. Not entirely. They might recommend strings, a certain bridge (adjustable, non, etc.), the type of tailpiece cord/cable, but ultimately many of those decisions are yours.

Just be sure you get a reputable DB luthier to do the work. I played at an Alabama festival last weekend and picked up the engelhardt of another player who had probably the most horrible setup I have ever seen. The fingerboard had been poorly planed and had buzzes up and down the neck on all strings. You could literally slide a business card under the feet of the bridge which had been sawn from a 5/8" piece of yellow poplar. And to top it off the endpin was glued in place. I asked the owner who did this and he informed me that it was the person who said he did all the work for the Birmingham symphony (yeah, sure). This "luthier's" price for the entire setup-including a set of $60 nylon strings-was $100. A fine example of how you get what you pay for.