Engelhardt ES9

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ttekulve, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Does anyone have any info on the ES9. Reviews on sound, construction???? Looking to buy one and I haven't found a lot of info from real players. Any thougts would be great.

t: :bassist:
  2. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I bought one last Sept. They advertise playable out of the box. Mine wasn't. I gave 1400 - then put another 200 into setup - new endpin, bridge and action - and another 250 in piastro eudoxa strings. That's about 1850 anyway you add it up. Don't buy over the internet if you can avoid it. Look for one from a dealer. Construction wise, it's a tank. Looks well made inside and out. Heavy. It is encased in some sort of polyurethane - the whole thing. I want to remove some of it. There are threads on that topic on this board. With my setup, it is pretty even across the strings. Not bad volume wise. I play bluegrass. Everyone tells me it sounds great. I think it could sound better and probably will with age. I like it. Hope this helps.
  3. Well, I am going to a dealer. I have a friend that's a luthier, he'll do my set up cheap..like $100 tops. I have new strings already. I'm using Correli as thety work best with my magnetic pick-up. Was the bridge really bad, or just not you taste? Was it worth it overall? I'm not crazy about the thick finish either. I had a reply on another threat saying that mutes the sound a bit as compared to the old Kay S9. Seems like 1400 is a pretty decent price. I think my dealer saying 1300. Do you know or anyone who has refinished oine of these?

4. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    The bridge was an ugly cheap bridge. I don't know anyone who's finished an ES9 - pacman here on this site finished a different englehardt. I think I have a decent bass for the money. It'll last until I'm too old and aching to play anymore.
  5. Like MR.SULU I also bought an ES-9 last September-It was playable but not anywhere approaching its potential. I basically agree with him on everything else except the cost of the setup. I have approximately $2K in mine--fingerboard planed, nut reshaped, seasoned soundpost, adjustable bridge, and strings. Soundwise I get nothing but positive feedback from all concerned--good tone and volume. I started out with Spirocore Orchs and am currently using Obligatos. I didn't have a problem with the spiros, I just like the warmer tone of the obligatos. I would recommend the bass to anyone who wanted a decent instrument without spending $3000+.

6. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I can see spending $1000 on an Englehardt, but $2000? For $1800 I can get a well set up Christopher with an adjustible bridge and good strings that sounds better than any Kay or Englehardt I've seen.
  7. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    It's a moot point to me since I've already purchased an englehardt and don't intend to buy another plywood. But, maybe ttekulve can do some comparison shopping.
  8. RD1

Apr 6, 2003
    Aiken, SC
    Got my ES9 from a dealer about a year ago, have not played it alot. But, it does sound good with decent volume. I just ordered a set of Obligato strings for it, after reading Gollihur's recommendation. I agree with tsolo on the finish, the clear coat seems way heavy, and I have really wanted to thin it someway. I payed 1400 for it, worked down the original bridge and set it myself. Maybe I'm not as particular as others, but I think it is overall a beautiful bass, with loads of potential after it cures out. Really looking to the new strings.