Engelhardt. Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Basspilot, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Basspilot

Feb 13, 2004
    I'm a new member with a question about Engelhardt basses.
    I know they took over the Kay production line, but are they any good?
    I have an old Kay and I am thinking about buying a new Engelhardt ES-1. Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks!
  2. Welcome aboard, Basspilot!

You might want to glance at the Newbie Links, lovingly assembled and tended by our own KLAUS FITZGERRALDO. There's a ton of stuff there on Englehardts, even an Englehardt vs. Kay thread. That'll probably answer at least a few of your questions.

Mike G.
  3. Basspilot

Feb 13, 2004
    Thanks. I'll do that!
  4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Hey Basspilot, unless theres something terribly wrong with your Kay, i dont see how buying an Englehardt could be an upgrade, they are almost the same bass(i prefer old Kays in matter of fact)
    However,i didnt understand if the purpose of buying an Englehardt was to upgrade or simply to have another one(sorry, its midnight here in Switzerland and i just finished my 9th cup of coffee today :p ) If theres something wrong with your Kay, maybe its worth taking it to a luthier , it will be cheaper to set up than to buy the Englehardt... i love my 1952 Kay, but i spent good $ on set-up.
  5. Basspilot

Feb 13, 2004
    My Kay is a 1947(I think) and is just plain ugly. The edges are worn and chipped real bad. I have had to re-glue the laminate at times. It still sounds very good and plays very nicely for me. I guess I'm just looking for something that looks a bit better on stage for gigs. I plan on keeping the Kay for outdoor festivals and things like that. I go to the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield Ks. every year, and a week out there in the camp grounds can be somewhat tough on basses when lugging them around to camp jams. I haven't comitted to buying a new Engelhardt yet. If I could find another Kay I would love it. But I just get tired of how ugly mine is. You can see a pic of it, though not close up at www.bluegrasspilots.com Thank for the replies everyone!
  6. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Front row at a bluegrass festival.

I thought ugly was the norm at festivals. The first time I took my englehardt to a bluegrass festival, most comments I heard were something along the lines of "never seen anyone play an new bass before." Unless you just want to spend money or the Kay needs mucho repairs, I say play the Kay.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If it sounds good and plays good, keep it! If not, give it to me!

What is that on the top of your bass? Is that an airplane?
  8. Basspilot

Feb 13, 2004
    Yeah. The Mando player in our group owned it before me and he painted it on there as a logo of sorts for our band. I think it's tacky. But it will come off easy. Here's a question. I talked to guy at a festival here Sat. night. He has a bass for sell that he did not bring with him. He said he didn't know what kind it was but it a C-1 inside of it. That would be a Kay wouldn't it?? If it is I'm going to make a trip out to see it. He lives about 75 miles form me. He wants a fair price for it. He said it's a 1952. If it's a Kay I may be buying it. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Congrats. My favorite bass right now is a beat up old Kay C-1 at school, plays like a dream, looks like hell :)