Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Engelhardt problems

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by cabin dweller, Jan 19, 2005.

1. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    I got my Em-1 on tuesday. I got it home and unpacked it. When I stood it up, the sound peg fell to the bottom! Is that common-or was it just because the bass its self was so cold from the weather? I wasn't to pi##ed off because the f-hole was large enuff I knew I could get it back into place with out the fancy tool to do it. If I have it back in the factory spot is the next question- there was no marks at all left on the back for a hint to go by. I looked in my china junker for a guide. The other thing that kinda sucks, is that there's two spots on the E side of the rose neck that look like they have bin filled in with wood filler. Im no expert, but it looks like hell!
    I took the bella' stings off as sone as I plucked it. I put a set of Eurosonics' on it (thats all I had on hand). They were a huge inprovement. The bass still had sawdust on it out of the box- But Ive' been playin' the heck out of it. Its already starting to open up quite well. Over all, the bass will do me just fine. I hope It holds up to the extreme that I will be putting it thew.
    P.S. the O'ring endpin raddles quite nice! almost in Key. Ha!
    cabin dweller

2. I'm confused Cabin. You're asking where to put the sound post and then right away, talking about playing the bass in. You're not playing without the soundpost are you? DON"T!
    The post should go right under the G string side of the bridge. . Down about the sound posts diameter underneath the foot of the bridge, and right in the middle of the foot of the bridge. The feet of the bridge should line up with the notches in the F holes.
    Please check the NewbieLinks at the top of the Basses and Set-up heading Do a search also. There's a ton of stuff on line about setting up basses.
    Good luck!!

3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    As soon as you can I would take it to the nearest Luthier for a full set-up. It will cost you some dough but you have a much more playable instrument.

Plus, if the sound post fell over you would want to have it reset for your desired sound. Just moving it slightly can drastically change the sound of your bass.

Good Luck and Congrats on the new bass.

-Matt

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    While I somewhat disagree with the DRASTIC changes soundpost adjustments make, yes - A luthier will be able to place it where it's best for what you want to hear, not to mention he'll fit it properly - that is, without gaps that can rob tone or even potentially damage the bass. Spending the bucks on the setup is more than worth it. Engels can be excellent players with a little setup TLC.

5. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    Paul,
    I got the post stood back up before I put the bridge in place.
    thanks for the threads.
    cabin dweller

6. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    yes, with a decent endpin, tailpiece and cord, a nice adjustable bridge, a decent set of strings, a new well-rounded and correctly planed fingerboard, a well carved nut and topped off with some nice tuners (a splurge, really) you just might have something worth messing with...

...but then you still have those ugly glued on fake scroll tips...

just teasing, folks! I played 3 undergrad college recitals on an ugly orange E.hardt once upon a time...I don't miss it... or the recitals..but it can be done!
    Dave P.