Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Engelhardt S-1?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by c-ba55, Feb 8, 2005.

1. I can buy a well-cared for and upgraded Engelhardt S-1 for $750. Not an Engelhardt ES-1 and not a Kay S-1. What exactly is this thing, and what's the skinny on it? I haven't played it yet.

2. Check the newbie links at the top of the forum for lots of details. Also, try doing a search of this forum. Spend some time reading and then come back with any specific questions. There are several current and former (I owned an ES-9 for several years) owners of e'hardts who haunt the boards and can probably fill any gaps for you.

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Sounds like you may be looking at a very early Engelhardt - 1970 or so. Obviously, the "E" in the model designations signifies "Engelhardt," but I suppose there's a chance that change did not take place immediately. Perhaps it's a 'transition' bass... A shot in the dark, but does the bass have outer linings?

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Without regard to its vintage, as described, it is likely a very good value at the price you mentioned.

A well-setup, new ES1 will approach $1,700-1,800 by the time it is all said and done.

I assume the bass features ebony fittings, etc.