1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Engelhardt?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassicsax, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Jacob_9012

Jacob_9012 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2019
    I don't know about half size but I know there are quarter size because I had a quarter size engelhardt

2. I started on one, couldn't get rid of it fast enough. We can do better now. It won't be missed.

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    My first DB was a Kay Chubby. It felt awful. I played it for three weeks and didn't play DB for another three years afterward.

4. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    And, as we all know, Kay-Engelhardt users are well-known for being more than willing to drop large sums of money on repair and maintenance. Oh, sorry. April Fool's Day was over 5 months ago.

Sam Sherry and Remyd like this.
  5. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Well, Upton seem to be moving away from the lowish-priced laminates that made their name; when I started shopping for a bass about eight years ago they had several low-ish cost laminate models and they're down to one, which honestly they don't promote nearly as much as they did back then.

Thinking positively, Upton could conceivably use their expertise combined with Engelhardt's supply chain to make a "new Kay"; still at the low cost, but with the well known mechanical defects of the Kay/Engelhardt design corrected. It could be a winning proposition for eveyone.

unbrokenchain likes this.
  6. Even if for whatever reason, someone feels the need to argue for or defend these things, there are plenty of them in the world. I strongly feel cheap hybrids should replace these as the basic beginner bass. If someone really wants a plywood tank there is plenty of them around.

7. bassicsax

bassicsax Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I hope Upton does resurrect the swingmaster... I know it is not the best bass by any means, but I have always wanted one to take outdoor and bluegrass gigs that that I don’t want to subject my carved bass to. Plus I have always loved the look of a blonde upright (once again in certain context).

getrhythm likes this.
  8. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    With all due respect to those who prefer 'better' instruments, I think if we hope to see the continuing use of the double bass in popular music, it's important that students have entry access to them and the cost makes business sense for a working musician, including durability in adverse conditions. Ply basses offer low cost, robust construction, low maintenance and reasonable sound in popular situations. These advantages matter today as much as they did in the 1930s. If you know where to get a 'better' instrument for less than $2K, by all means suggest it. Lacking that, the argument against ply basses is unrealistic and immaterial for many, many musicians.

I understand that it may be difficult for an American manufacturer to maintain the necessary price point to serve this market. I think it would be sad, however, to see it captured entirely by lower-cost foreign builders.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    There is a VERY strong need to have plywood basses out in the world of torturous low-humidity situations such as really cold temperatures and really hot, dry seasons in a great many parts of the country. A solid top will not survive 5% humidity that is very common in the Southwest this time of year or in the far frozen Northern States in the winter. It is very shortsighted to make the claim that plywood basses should never be used. Sometimes it is the ONLY choice.

10. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    DavidMcPhail_HenryBear.JPG

Reiska and GlenParks like this.
  11. I am not saying they shouldn't be used, I am saying there are enough Engleharts in the world. I used my carved bass all over the world for nearly three decades with one major repair, most weather that with truly damage a bass in the span of a gig will also damage a human. If you store it properly and take care of it, you can have a real bass in most settings. But, whatever. People can do what they want. I am sure anyone who really wants an Englehart won't have any trouble getting one for years to come!

12. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Leaving aside the disparagement, sure — if you can afford it.

13. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    tumblr_ne4wi08w8H1tfgqqyo1_500.

14. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama

bassicsax, GlenParks and Jacob_9012 like this.
  15. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Many of the people I know who play vintage US made plywood basses do so by choice. They are very knowledgeable, educated musicians who play in bands where tradition is very important to their musical culture. Just as classical snobs want period correct vintage instruments, these other people are surrounded buy guitar players who use $75,000 pre war Martins, 1920s mastertone banjos, mandolin players who gig with $200,000 Loyd Loar signed F5 mandolins, and fiddle players who pay more for a nice bow than we do for an old carved bass. They all are VERY aware of a particular voice and make a conscious decision to perform with that. They are not ignorant poor hillbillies and it is arrogant to assume they are. Many could afford any instrument they want; it is not about economics.

I'm always amazed at people who invest $30,000 on an instrument to make $150 a season playing in the local amateur symphony who badmouth the thousands of people who chose an old $2500 Kay for a specific reason and use it to make $100 a night in bar bands every weekend of the year. It is a very specific conscious choice for them, not a matter of money. You should be glad- there are only a limited number of fragile old basses to go around. Every person who intentionally chooses an old plywood bass means there is one more old carved bass available for other folks.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  16. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I have one, and even after luthier bridge adjustments, it's still damned difficult to bow the D and A strings. I will not get another.

What I would get a decent hybrid 1/4 size if someone made it. Roma made - I have one and it's great.

-S-

17. Agreed, vintage being the operative word here.

james condino likes this.
  18. Anyway, it isn't a ply vs. carved thing. I don't think Engleharts, especially contemporary Engleharts are good basses, I think there are far better ply basses and they no longer needed for beginners.

james condino likes this.
  19. Jacob_9012

Jacob_9012 Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2019
    I don't know if you specifically want a hybrid, but there's an impressively good sounding carved bass with an extension at David Gage right now that is quarter size or maybe even a little smaller.

20. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Good to know - I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks very much.

An _extension_ on that size bass, though, sounds awfully odd. They're usually student instruments or used by non-classical players because they're easier to schlep to a gig. I can't imagine an extension on a 1/4 size bass but, heck, I'll ask about it when I call tomorrow.

-S-

Jacob_9012 likes this.