Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Engelhardts EM-1, Great Prices!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jakehead, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Jakehead

Jakehead Banned

Nov 27, 2003
    chicago Illinois
    Just bought another bass, EM-1 from Music 123, they are selling them for 850.00 bucks plus 130 for shipping. Just email them and tell them that musicians friend is offering the same bass for 899 plus 92 shipping and they will beat the price instantly. By the way this is the new light brown finish, with no damn nitro cellulose on the fingerboard. Great sounding plywoods.

Just thought I would pass a deal on to other bassists.

2. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Not exactly. Here's the reply I got:

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Not surprised about that response. As much as people tend to bash Musician's Friend, I'd go with them over Music 123 *ANY* day, especially over something that works out to be a mere 11 bucks in savings if you go with 123.

4. Jakehead

Jakehead Banned

Nov 27, 2003
    chicago Illinois
    What the hell? They did it for me, what can I say? Tried to pass on a deal.

5. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    And I thank you. I tried to get the same deal - just passing along the reply I got. I'm going to buy one from musician's friend. With shipping, musicians friend beat the 123 price by $112. Still, thanks for the incentive.

6. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    My apologies, Jakehead... wasn't tryin' ta knock ya. I've heard so many horror stories about Music123 -- enough to make Musician's Friend look like a saint, for god's sake -- that I'd think twice about a 123 deal, no matter how good...

7. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Wow, turns out my parents got me an EM1 for christmas.. but it's going to arrive on my birthday (the 29th) because of an error on the part of the shipping company... How's it play those of you who have it? (yes I've read the newbie link for it, not too informative...)

8. dvmweb

dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    I have had an Engelhardt EM 1 for about 2 years. I bought it from Bob Gollihur. This is my first URB.

I had some work done on the bridge and bought new strings. Pirastro Obligatos. I added a KnK Bass Max piezo pick up. It does what I want. I play Gospel, Bluegrass, and some C&W. Recently I have been playing some jazz along with the local Public radio station and CD's. I have not had any trouble with it. And, Bob was a good guy to deal with.:D

Good Luck
    Walt MI/US

9. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Not to be a trouble maker, but why would you fellas consider buying a bass from an online-only store, that also "specializes" in trumpets and tambourines? If you buy from an actual bass luthier, you can save that teary-eyed $500 visit to the shop, where they will have to set it up and make a real bass of it. You need your local shop, and those guys can't survive on repairs alone.

Now I haven't called them to check, but it's my guess that Music123 or Musician's Friend won't open their doors on a Sunday to stand up your soundpost for you one hour before your concert, but most shops that you've patronized will be there for you.

Musicians helping musicians works best when it works both ways.

Best,
    John

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Quite frankly, I'm new to the DB world, and I don't know of any local shops. I'm sure there has to be one. I mean Orlando, we had a philharmonic orchestra, I'm sure we have a violin store somewhere... But online shopping offers much greater selection. I hate being limited to just what's in the store.

And I can tell you for a fact, the guy who repairs my bass clarinet, can work off of repairs alone $-)

11. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Originally posted by John Sprague
    The only "local" shop within several hours of my home is a PAWN shop. Folks in the "big city" don't seem to get it. There's a whole world of musicians out here who don't take the subway to a gig. Online shopping may be a poor second choice to developing a relationship with a qualified luthier, but for some of us it's the only choice. When I'm ready to drop $4,000 and up for a new bass, I'll burn a couple of vacation days and travel to wherever it's necessary to shop. For an entry-level instrument (that doesn't need a $500 set-up to be played) buying online (Bob Gollihur) worked for me.

12. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Gufen,
    I appreciate the distance issues, and understand the appeal of online. In your case, you bought long distance the smart way, from a good bass shop. 123/Friend is what scares me. I have to wonder how many former players no longer touch the instrument because their first buying experience was an online BSO.

13. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Well here is my music 123 horror story. My parents ordered the EM1 on December 13th. They were garunteed it would get here before christmas. So my mom was getting nervous, so she called the freight company the tuesday before christmas. They laughed at her when she asked if it would be delivered before christmas. LAUGHED. They told her that they don't work on christmas eve. So that really ticked off my parents. So today they are finally delivering it between 1 and 3... still... 16 days to deliver, and 4 days late :p not too praise worthy.

I wish they would have ordered from Mr. Gollihur...

14. Trickymonk

Trickymonk

Dec 29, 2003
    Another newbie here, but I thought I'd share my experience.
    I rolled the dice and ordered an EM-1 from Music123 a few days before this thread started. I was able to get the price match deal before they pulled the "not in stock" argument. Total delivered cost was $969. They shipped ABF. It took Music123 5 days to get it off the dock, but it was here in 2 (from their warehouse - I forget the location - to TN). I actually had to call ABF (locally) and get them to hold it on the dock for me b/c I wasn't going to be available for delivery. They were very friendly and did just that until I picked it up in perfect condition at 8pm that night. They even helped me load it and provided tie downs.
    Overall, a pretty smooth transaction. As Bob G. said on another board in response to a shipping horror story for an EM-1 he sold(paraphrased):

All trucking companies suck, just in differing degrees.

I guess I was lucky. I love the bass though.

15. Jakehead

Jakehead Banned

Nov 27, 2003
    chicago Illinois
    My EM-1 arrived 5 days after order in perfect condition, as for luthier work I do my own as there are none within 200 miles of me. Trial and error, believe me I destroyed many bridges and such before I got the hang of it, luckily I own a construction company and have some experience with various tools. This is my jazz set up, I also have a swingmaster strictly set up for slap. The em1 sounds great lots of growl with the pirastro jazzers i put on, I am really happy with it. I am sorry you guys had trouble with music123 but I was treated great, maybe I am just one of the few, lol.

16. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Didn't think this merrited a new topic.. so here's the new family picture, with a fresh EM1 :)

[​IMG]

17. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    I have more money than sense so I bought an EM1 through musician's friend (but now I'm broke). Total: $992.50 delivered. For $12 music123 can bite me. Playable right out of the box. Sound post fit like a dream, bridge fits great (cheap though), they fixed the rattling end pin. Sounds fine. I intend to abuse this bass so it gets played as is. No mods at all until absolutely neccessary. Thanks, jakehead, for the push.

Mine is red/brown. Your pic looks lighter - almost blonde.?

18. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Part of that may be the lighting, but I do think it is pretty light.. more of an orange than a red or brown... orange yellowish...