Engelhardy ES9 Swingmaster

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AngryArgentine, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Hey,
    Is this Double Bass (Engelhardt ES9) made of plywood?
  2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    I do believe that all Englehardts are plywood.
  3. Is it worth getting one then? Or as there any carved basses in the 1500-2000 dollar price range. I know Bob Gollihur sells those European basses which are not plywood for about 2000. Thanks.
  4. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    The Swingmaster is the "top-of-the-line" Englehardt. If it is set-up well, it can be an excellent bass. Very sturdy and they usually project pretty well.

Might not get you a seat in the Baltimore Symphony, but is probably as good as any carved or hybrid in that price range. (caveat - IF SET-UP WELL).
  5. Thanks, you guys are a great help, and fast in replying.
  6. Funny thing, when I had mine setup, I told the gent that I mostly played with a bow. He seemed shocked and nicely tried to tell me that if I was leaning towards I Classical goal I would eventually be getting my arse kicked showing up with a blonde bass.

So far with volume I have been happiest with a set of Spirocore Weich. I have Corelli 380s on the D and G for the time being.
  7. I am sorry to hear you say that. That's has been a concern of mine since I bought my '52 Blonde Kay MB-1 two years ago. It's got a great sound and I dig the look but it seems like Blonde basses get no respect and you only see them in corny rockabilly and jump blues type settings. Not that there's anything wrong with those types of music, I enjoy them as well. I just hate that some people will think that my bass is inferior to the $500 dollar chinese bass because it has a violin color.
  8. I truly could care less, it makes me want to play and that is good enough for me.
  9. Hey,
    My new ES9 arrived today. It sure is nice. I'm going to take it to a local luthier to have it set up. I sent Bob Gollihur the payment on Saturday and I got the bass on Monday, Now isn't that FAST? Oh well, I have to go practice now. I'll post some pictures when I get them.
  10. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Congrats!!!! Now maybe you'll change your screen name to HAPPYARGENTINE.

Good luck.
  11. I can't change my name because then I would have to change my tattoo also. Here is a picture of it.
  12. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Strange. At school we have two blonde basses. They both have rosewood fingerboards and I know they are Engelhardts so are they the same as what you're talking about? At my college the upright bassists are taught strictly classical and no one's turned up their noses to the basses. Although, on second thought, I don't think anyone is using either of them currently haha. I have practiced a time or two with both of them though and they do have a decent arco sound. Nothing that would make a man weep but I would think they would be fine for orchestral playing.
  13. Look inside the bass there should be a sticker.
    I know there are cheaper ones that look like the swingmaster but are not.
  14. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Ease up on the caffeine intake there ksdaddy. I too have an Englehardt, and I play it regularly. Absolutely no "dis" on Englehardts at all, but an Englehardt is certainly not a Testore or a Goffriller.

I also have a turn of the century German bass, and it plays a specific role in my reportoire.

The point is, classical-instrument-snobery exists for a reason.....it makes a HUGE difference. When I began taking lessons, on a Englehardt, I was amazed at how much better my teacher would sound demonstrating a particular piece on my bass, than I. Then when he would pick up one of his 18th century Nicola Albani and play, it would absolutely knock me out of the room.

I bet Hal Robinson could whip the *#@^ out of an Englehardt, but it marginalizes his talent not to play on the best instrument available to him.
  15. pea

Aug 10, 2002
    south west england
    cant we all get along, regardless of the colour and make of our beautiful machines, and you can tell me to naff off if you want, i am a NEWBIE after all and i dont know £^%$ according to some people!!!

just play on!!!!!!
  16. I am very happy with mine. Make me practice more than the "Ebay" bass I started with.

I didn't read anything about Engelhardts getting snubbed.
  17. chrisbs

Jan 12, 2002
  18. Not Mine, got mine 2 days after sending payment!!!
  19. delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    If anyone is looking for a Swingmaster in the catskills/saugerties area of New York State, my luthier/teacher has two at his shop just waiting for new owners. He sets them up perfectly too. I bought one from him 2 years ago and havn't had any problems.