Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

engineer says "just go direct, no DI"??????

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LowfreqB, Mar 27, 2001.

1. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I'm very new to recording, I'v been in some okay studios before. I'v recorded direct with no DI on cubass, the tone was well, I wasnt happy with it. I have also recorded with mic and DI box mixed. That sounded great. I have not heard what pro tools can do with a direct sound. The pro tools with only a instrument cable and bass is what is proposed for this weekend. Is this wrong? Do I have to use a DI box to get a good sound? They told me that protools has enough plugins to help shape my sound. I'm playing a Stingray 5 (active bass)

Any help would be nice

2. i record direct all the time. i hardly ever use a di box.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Like Herm said, should work fine. In any case a good studio should have some DIs lying around, so you still can use a DI when the need arises.

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Remember that the rule of thumb for recording is your ears, and not signal paths. ANYTHING goes if it sounds the way you want it to. I took some recording classes, and that was the first thing they taught us. Ignore the needles, and LISTEN. There is nothing wrong with any method of recording bass, and each has it's own characteristics. A short story I just read on the RHCP album Californication - on one track, they recorded the guitar after letting the battery on the active pups nearly wear down, because the sound was just right for that 10 minutes.

5. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    By "direct" what do you mean? From the head into the board? wouldnt that fry the head?

6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, he means plugging the bass directly into the mixing board, without a bass amp.
    Anyway, you can fry a head only if it's a tube amp and used without speaker load.
    You could fry the board by plugging the speaker out of a solid state bass amp into it, though.

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Sorry, I'm still confused. A tube amp cannot be plugged direct without a speaker?

8. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i may be wrong, but i understand "going direct" as having no addiotional amplification between your bass and the mixing board, eg. no amp, no di-box, etc. so it has nothing to do with any speakers or heads.

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Chris is right about .

@brewer9:
    A full-tube amp must not be run without a load at its speaker output. That means never switch a tube amp on that's not hooked to a speaker or a load simulator, e.g. Marshall's Powerbrake. It's no problem with a transistor amp, though.

This topic has nothing to do with the initial question, it's just for your information.

10. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Thanks for following this thru. These posts often have a way of swerving into related areas, so I appreciate you swerving with me.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The DI is there for impedance matching, but an active bass like a Stingray doesn't actually need this like a passive bass because the preamp provides a low impedance output.

As far as shaping tone in Pro Tools, there are plugins available like Amp Farm which can emulate various amp/speaker combinations. If the studio has this, they will be able to get sounds very close ot mikin an actual amp and you even get to choose the type of amp at mixdown! Way cool...

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Be careful some attenuators do not have a dummy load. Anyone reading this thread thinking that they can do this should check the manual, you know that piece of paper we never read and see what it can and cannot do.

13. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    Thanks everyone for your help, Here is some additional info to tie loose ends up (if any)

You can use your amp for recording IF it has a DI out, my amp swr350 does have a DI out (line and direct) What I'v heard is the DI's on amps like the SWR350 are mostly weak and not used for recording purposes. I'v only used mine at live shows to plug into the board. I would never plug my amp into the board like I would plug into my speakers, that wouldnt work.

By the way I went to L.A.bass Exchange today, I saw some new (to me) cables, really really thick cables. monster cables look punny next to them. That would help my sound too, If I had about $500.00 for cables, yes $500.00 :D yeah right.

14. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    At the risk of having this thread changed, the cables you refer to are Tara Labs. If they didn't tell you at LA Bass Ex, they come in three grades, the least expensive one being more the size of a Monster cable. IMHO I wouldn't bother unless you plan on recording or you have a big bag of money to burn. You can compensate your e.q. for the compression you'll get with "normal" instrument cords. If your looking for a better cable then you've got, try Quantum cables. Affordable, with a noticable sound clarity for live and studio.