1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Engineers!! I need wire rope advice!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Toastfuzz, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Tension strength doesn't matter. Stiffness does.

The application here is in building fire hoops... a performance art thats basically hoola hooping with 5 kevlar "wicks" attached that are set on fire. I'm trying to devise a way to make them removeable, so I placed an order for a ton of these that will attach the wick to the hoop... and I want to use a 5" flexible wire rope to attach the kevlar wick to the hoop. Those standoffs say the diameter of the swage fitting is 3/16", but I dont know if thats the inner or outer diameter, so I assume either 3/16" or 1/8" wire will suit me. Since these are made for swaging, you'd think the inner diameter would be 3/16 (so you could simply just buy 3/16 wire) but I dont know if I should make that assumption.

Mainly my question is what is the best wrap style to get the most stiffness. I want them to basically be straight and not droop, but have some flex in the event the hoop is dropped or hits the ground. I'm thinking either this or this or this or this would get the job done. Prefer to go stainless, unless theres a good reason to go galvanized.

Would the 18-8 with the thicker strands have more stiffness than the 302/304 with narrow strands? I found a source on the net saying 18-8 and 302/304 are discriptors for the type of stainless steel and mean the same thing, in which case I dont know what the difference is in these products (or just dont understand it, other than what I see in the pictures.) I'm probably going to just order 10 feet of a few different onces and see which is the best for this application, but thought I'd run it past the engineering geniuses on TB first!

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Really. You want advice on how to construct a flaming hoola hoop that will be around a human's body from an online forum for bassists no less??

Best of luck, but you're scaring me and hopefully you won't be scarring anybody.

3. How can you call yourself a bassist if you've never used flaming hula hoops? Your bass teacher should be ashamed he left that out of your lesson plan.

4. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    There is a great majority of graduated enginneers in this forum so he kinda posted in the right place (in the misc section) wish you luck....

5. ddnidd1

I don't doubt that there are very talented engineers, as well as others on the TB forum.

However, judging by the WIDE disparity in the quality of advice relating to basses and bass playing given on TB, it wouldn't be my first stop for fiery hoola hoop construction advice.

That's just me.

6. The best engineers here have EE backgrounds and can't help you with your wire rope - that's a materials issue. See if any Hollywood stunt men or women participate.

7. ddnidd1

I never said I haven't used them - just never built one. I buy from a well respected dealer.

8. Really, all the best engineers here are EEs? I guess I am not as good because I am a Civil Engineer;)

As for the OP, you can't just go some place, such as Home Depot and grab a bunch of wire and see how much it droops? This really isn't something that needs engineering.

lowsound

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My gut says braid should be stiffer than a twist, but I dunno....

All I really know about wire rope is that if you get a splinter off of it, you get one hell of a splinter off of it!

10. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    It always seems it takes a guy with a HS diploma to fix what a guy with an engineering degree screws up... :spit:

Anywho, I'd stay away from galvi - galvi and high heat / fire causes poisonous gas. Unless that's the effect you're looking for...

11. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Issues? Something you need to get off your chest?

Was it high school students who put Curiosity on Mars, after it was successfully built in shop class?

12. ddnidd1

Gentlemen.... let's try to address the pertinent issue.....hula hoops that will be set on fire.

13. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Flaming Hula Hoops? I can see why your board name is ToastFuzz.

14. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    ha!

15. [​IMG]

here's a technical drawing I found of one . . . I guess in this case it's, you know, NOT for kids! :D

16. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Hey, oddly enough... more people ask "what wire rope size should I use for fire hoops in a performance art routine" than they do "what bass should I buy".

But yeah, the fire hoop pros should be chiming in any second now.

17. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    10 gauge copper,,pretty green burnoff

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... on Mars.

19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    This is just about the funniest thing ever posted on the internet.

20. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    I always ask for genuine ACME branded Genuine Luau Fire Hoops, the standard by which all others are judged.

iJazz - The first "What's best for fire?" post I've seen.